iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A members saw..see anything different?

Started by weimedog, January 11, 2011, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on January 12, 2011, 12:05:38 PM
That was the answer I was looking for!  :D Thank you! :P

In essence, design the bar & chain or buy a really good one; then figure out the lightest package possible with enough power & RPM's to maximize the Bar & Chain package..regardless of he origins of that power plant.
Yes you are on track.
When I first built that saw alot of interest was generated from Yamaha technicians who tried to "help" me in making that saw cut to the max. One tech said run the factory 34mm carb and the tune pipes factory length stinger. The saw was a dog and I found a short 8" stinger and the 42 mm easy to set Tillotson was the best. I had the ignition timing set by the Yamaha book and still couldn't figure out why I was stalling the saw dead in the middle of the cut. Years later after trial and error I advanced the ignition timing plate as far as it could go and end of stalling problem and even more WOT h.p.

I think of all the wasted competitons where I occassionaly stalled  this saw and all I had to do was adjust a little ignition timing

Now welcome alcohol fuel science. :D

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Cut4fun

Quote from: weimedog on January 12, 2011, 10:00:06 AM
Early YZ's or RM's? I started with red.. :D (Bultaco's) (Early 70's) Went to Yellow & Silver (Maico's) to White (KTM's), then Green (Kawi's)...THEN Red (Honda)....quit the Motocross thing after 17 years (Early Ninties) and discovered Hare Scrambles & AHRMA Late ninties with Blue&Black Italian Husqvarna's & Black (VOR's) for RMEC Hare Scrambles....& Had White..and the other White(1980 era Husqvarna's) for AHMRA and still do ( quit the racing thing 2001 after injury&life forced the decision). (now have VOR, KTM, Husky) had a short spell on yellow (RM250 late 1980's) Have one still....you will probably be the only one who understands all that jibberish!

Man you rode about everything  :o. But I see no love for the orange Can Am 400 like I rode when I lived in MT and was able to keep the white KTM's at bay sometimes.   http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/can-am_mx6_400_1980.php

HolmenTree

Yes at the time the CanAms were very fast bikes. They had the rotary valve induction which was more precise and efficent over the Japanese reed valve motors. Sven Johnson won 9 or 10 powersaw world championships at Hayward Wisconson with his CanAm 250 bikesaw since the mid 70s to mid 80s. His best was 3 cuts in a 20" pine log in a little over 7 seconds ,hands on the log then starting the saw included in the time.

Willard.

Troutfisher

[
Quote from: weimedog on January 12, 2011, 07:33:44 AM

Now if you are planning on cutting 10"X 10" aspen with 3 cuts and a cold start you need ergonomics, lightweight powerhead with a very quick throttle response and high rpm.
Willard.
[/quote]

I agree, in small wood you spend more time getting the saw started and with changeovers than actually cutting wood.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Troutfisher on January 12, 2011, 04:35:27 PM
[
Quote from: weimedog on January 12, 2011, 07:33:44 AM

Now if you are planning on cutting 10"X 10" aspen with 3 cuts and a cold start you need ergonomics, lightweight powerhead with a very quick throttle response and high rpm.
Willard.

I agree, in small wood you spend more time getting the saw started and with changeovers than actually cutting wood.
[/quote]

That one guy running that bikesaw on Ed's site on video, that set a new world record in ???x??? cant remember. Was about the best I seen a guy do change overs with a bikesaw lately.

HolmenTree

Moyal is a big sized dude which greatly helps in handling that saw. Very quick, almost sounds like the saw wasn't opening up all that much,  but just might be the microphone sound quality. Almost looked like he cut out on the last cut.
A narrow [no belly] bar is an advantage in the changeover between cuts but hard to do with these big oversized sprockets they run on these bikesaws.
What engine is that?

Willard.

Al_Smith

I saw Rick Halverson set some type of a record on 8 by's in the masters event at the Paul Bunyan show .Seems to me 2.9 seconds with a Rotax .Lawdy I can't imagine drop starting one of those things but he did it .

From what I've seen the sled engine or bike engine saws do better on big wood that cants .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 12, 2011, 09:10:13 PM
I saw Rick Halverson set some type of a record on 8 by's in the masters event at the Paul Bunyan show .Seems to me 2.9 seconds with a Rotax .Lawdy I can't imagine drop starting one of those things but he did it .

From what I've seen the sled engine or bike engine saws do better on big wood that cants .
Rick Halvorson is 6' 4" 300lbs. Big guys do well dropstarting and handling hotsaws. His wife Penny is a master on the hotsaws too. They've been doing it for many years now.

Willard.

Thank You Sponsors!