Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Diapers, Diapers I don't get diapers, what a lowlife that would do that
smiley_airfreshener :D :D :D ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JuniperBoss

I live 30 miles from the nearest fast food joint or sizable town and a lot of people drive the 30 miles to work and back every day. You can find remnants of a burger and fries (cups, boxes) anywhere along the rural roads. I suppose when they're done eating and take the last swig of pepsi they just toss the trash right out the window. Some people think the world is their garbage can  ::). I'd like to see the world dump some trash on them, see how they like it.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

CHARLIE

I'm always finding beverage cans and convenience store trash in my yard.  I wish I could catch 'em but I'm sure they are throwing it out the window at night.

I've been known to give people back their trash.  A grown man once dropped his Mountain Dew can in a parking lot.  I picked it up, caught up with him and as I handed it to him I said, "I'm sure you didn't mean to drop this since there is a trash can right over there."  I saw an older woman throw a gum wrapper out the window right in front of me in a restaurant parking lot. I picked it up and tossed it back into her window.  A carload of highschool girls were parked at a convenience store when the driver came out of the store with a new carton of cigarettes. The girl in the passenger side was laughing as she tossed an empty pack out the window. I walked up, picked it up and told her, "I'm sure you didn't mean to drop this out of your window. I'll put it in the trash can for you."  With that I put it in a trash can.

My wife and I took a train trip to Washington D.C.  Going through Pennsylvania was the ugliest.  We could see where people dumped old appliances off the road down the steep ravine and hidden from sight from the road. But not hidden from sight from the railroad. There was a lot of it and must be a common practice.  Not a good testimony for the state.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

JuniperBoss

The world is full of em'.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

DDDfarmer

We went for a walk one night and came accross where a truck drove into a feild and dropped 3 Tv's, sump pumps, water pipe, bags of garbage, diapers, and oh ya....personal mail from gov. agency.  Name and mailing address included.  I felt like calling this gent myself but knowing I would say the wrong thing,  so I called my buddy the CO.  He said no problem he would clean up the "evidence"  document then  send the guy the bill as well as charge him with littering. 

The thing that really gets me is Christmas trees.  Now I don't mind a tree or two being cut down, 'Tis the season.  But I don't want the tinsel covered tree back!  Talk about an eyesore all winter and spring.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

JuniperBoss

Did the guy that dumped the junk eventually get busted?

Ianab

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 17, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
Did the guy that dumped the junk eventually get busted?

Yeah, I think they wrote a song about it...  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7C0QGkiVo
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

:D Well ya'all  can get all emotional about it but I doubt you'll ever stop it .People have been flinging junk out of the car window since they have been automobiles and I imagine before that out of the buggy behind the horse .Of course that was in the days of road apples the horse left behind too .

You're not going to be to stop that trash out the window deal .I still maintain if ,the big if they had a place to drop off stuff like old TV's tires and such there wouldn't be tons of junk in the county road ditchs .Nobody wants to take that leap because companies  like Waste Management wouldn't get their giant slice of the pie in collection fees .

Oh yeah the polititions can talk all this "green " stuff all they want but the green is money not ecoligy .

WH_Conley

I think Al is getting pretty close on the larger items. The closest recycle center that will take old refrigerators is about 30 miles away. They don't pay for them so a person is out the gas to haul. Tires are the same way, take them but you have to pay them to do it. I guess it is just cheaper to throw them over the hill. >:(
Bill

Al_Smith

I just hide the stuff in the woods until some poor scrapper comes around .When the Chinese tried to corner the market on scrap iron one kid got 180 bucks just from stupid stuff like old water heaters and a couple of junk washing machines and some scrap sheet metal .He was a good kid I didn't mind helping him out .

The scrap yards which are usually the cheapest rascals in the world were taking cars, tires and all by weight because they could sell anything that had steel in  it .

What do you do with old tires ?There's only so many swings you can make out of them for the kids .I must have 50 of them in my shop which I give away because they are still usable with legal tread .Trailer tires maybe .Others dump them in alleys ,behind gas stations or in the county ditchs ,I don't .

The rascals get like 3 bucks a pop to take them ,who's going to pay that when they can't even afford gas in the car to get to work if the did have a job ?

I suppose you could toss them in a heap and kerosine them and toss a match .Wow would that make them whine  .Probabley not a good idea .

WDH

The heavy black smoke gives you away....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Oh every so often you see black smoke just boiling off a brush pile fire .Brush doesn't blow black  smoke like a tire .Actually once the pile gets to burning good brush doesn't hardly smoke at all .

WDH

The fire police will get you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2013, 08:57:08 PM
The fire police will get you.

Affirmative.   fire_smiley                      smiley_fireman_hat
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

Buy a grinder and make tire mulch :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Well ya know really it's kind of funny .They charge people to take the tires then they grind them up and sell the grindings to put in the bottom layer of a land fill .I suppose from one perspective it's just good business .

The best one I ever saw was when Welded pipe line construction formerly of Rosebud Mich laid 42 miles of 20 inch gas line across the corn fields .At the road crossings they piled up old tires to protect the roads when they ran the big crawler side boom tracters across them .

They must have had 6-8 semis full at a buck a pop .After they were done with them the same guy charged them two bucks a pop to take them back . :D Now that's a smooth move .

shinnlinger

Today I was taking the trash to our "transfer station" and I plastic bag blew out of the back of my truck.  I pulled over  to get it, but as I did another truck went past me and pulled over to get the mail.  The woman got out of the truck and literally stepped over the bag twice (coming and going) she got in her truck and went up her driveway while I got out and grabbed the bag.

While I was clearly in the wrong I just thought it odd that someone wouldn't pick up garbage right in front of their house.  It was more work for her to step over the bag than it was to pick it up.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

r.man

I can tell you how long it takes to eat a chocolate bar or any number of other treats because I live a few doors down from a convenience store and have counted the paces to the garbage. This is in a town with garbage cans not too far away. I also refuse to apologize for having a messy vehicle with cans, wrappers etc in it since I won't litter. Every now and then if I am at the dump or it is getting too deep I will get out a bag and sort everything out. I am always suspicious of people with clean vehicles. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Peter Drouin

Well they saw you pulled over and new you where going to pick it up, and you where the only one with trash in the back of a truck, maybe thats what she thought :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Our Son lives within a few blocks of a Post Office.  He can tell you what folks do with junk mail.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tractormanNwv

Magicman,
The company I work for is a Contractor for the Railroad, C-S-X to be exact. I travel the most of the Eastern US, and I see this stuff in every nook and crany, it is just lack of respect, and laziness. Some of the Laziest people too are Engineers on the rail, I won't even try to describe what we see out on the rail, and the sad part is.....they have a van that picks them up and takes them to the motel or the rail yard to thier cars. It's a sad thing, this world anymore. How many of you can remember the commercial from the 70's of a Indian standing by the roadway when a litterbug drives by? Remember the tear in his eyes? There is an Electrician that works with me sometimes, and I don't know what it is,...he just has to find a reason to throw something on the ground, it's just sad.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!