iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corinth mills

Started by Taylortractornut, January 08, 2012, 08:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

In my search for a mill to scratch that itch I was told by a friend that an inlaw of his had his fathers  Corinth mill for sale for 800 possibly less.     It in storage and I want to tale a few pics to see if  yall might know if anything is missin.     I m   looking at changing the carriage drive to hydraulic travel.    THe wood is all gone so what im looking at since I can make squat from wood that I would  use Steel for my frame work and other mill part that were wood.   Also do any of yall use Corinth Mills.
My overload permit starts after sunset

sparky

I operate a 48" Corinth for an antique tractor club. It was built in 1974, so it would be much newer than yours. Three head blocks and a 50 foot track. This mill is very well built and a pleasure to operate. I intend to convert the carriage to hydraulic drive this year.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

bandmiller2

Whats wrong with the origional Corinth carriage feed that you folks want to go hydraulic?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sparky

I had an experience a year ago where one of my helpers was injured when we were belting up with a steam engine. (The belt pulley on a steamer rotates backward when in reverse.) One of the two flat belts that are tensioned to move the carriage climbed a flanged, flat-belt, pulley and caused the corresponding belt to tighten. The carriage advanced even though the control was locked in neutral. The carriage struck my helper and resulted in an injury that required 12 stitches.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Taylortractornut

I thought ia might simplify it a a bit with a hydraulic carriage.
My overload permit starts after sunset

sparky

It would also simplify the operation as you mention. In my case, there is a hydraulic pump in place to operate the log turner. I just need to add a hydraulic motor along with hoses, flow control, and a control valve.

Sparky

captain_crunch

best part about hyd drive is saw can not grab log like belt feed also if hyd pump is powered different from mandrel you can opperate carrage with out blade turning makeing fine tuneing things safe. Mine has a rotary valve  so if in gig back I can offbear and beat carrage return before it bottoms out
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!