iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elm identification

Started by swampsawyer914, July 03, 2019, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampsawyer914

I recently milled up a elm tree and was curious if anyone would be able to tell if it is American or english elm. Thank you.

nativewolf

That appears to be the world famous Black Walnut elm :).  Ok, to me at least it appears to be black walnut.  
Liking Walnut

WDH

It does look like black walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

Bandmill Bandit

I'd have to see a high def pic of a leaf but I am gona say Manchurian Elm .  Ag Canada introduced it for shelter belts on the prairies in the 50s and 60s along with several others from northern asia. I have cut quite a bit of it.  

There are quite a few growing in this city along the streets.

If you go to post #140 in "help me identify this hard wood" you will see a few picture of trees that I milled for one of the Ag Canada Scientists that was in charge of the Shelterbelt development initiative in the 50s. The trees I cut for him were planted in 1958. They were Common Elm and Manchurian Elm. The Common Elm is quite red while the Manchurian is a Rich chocolate Brown with the white sap wood immediately under the bark.
Hope this helps.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!