iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log identification

Started by Swernicus, March 01, 2021, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swernicus

Tree cutter said these were "some kind of elm"...

Not sure about that, almost looks like a type of white oak (burr oak etc). Any thoughts? 

kantuckid

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

DonW

OH wow, those pictures are not showing much useful for identification. If that one long protrusion is "furry" it could back up the claim it's elm. An oak would surely be obvious from the rays if they were present. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

KEC

Looks like White Oak to me.

Swernicus

I thought the same thing, but the bark has a slight elm look. I'm milling it later this week so I'll post some photos of the slabs. The Ray fleck will give it away 

SwampDonkey

Looks ring pourous like oak, but can't see the rays. You wouldn't have to saw oak to see rays on the end grain, they stand out like your thumb. ;D American white elm bark is different than that up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

Our cucumber magnolia looks close to that when its growing on shale. They sometimes end up sorted into the stave logs sort by the loader op.

Swernicus

Looked at images of white oak to see the rays on end grain.. yeah there isn't any of that. Does that rule out oak?

Sauna freak

Can't be sure, but it looks somewhat like Red Elm with that fiber pull on the hinge and the color/appearance on the end grain.  How does it smell?  Red elm will have an almost sweet smell.  I've mostly seen it dead with bark off, so not too sure on that one.  If you can confirm that, you have a prize.  It's getting pretty rare.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

WDH

If elm, the latewood pores will be arranged in distinct wavy bands. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Does it smell like acid wood? Elm sort of stinks to me. Some Elms are called "pith Elm" for that reason, so I learned from my Ozarks Grandpa, a real woodsman as he was. FWIW, I have an old picture of him and two brothers in the midst of their firewood operation and ~ 700 cords of hand split firewood, was before WWI.  

moodnacreek

Looks like someone crossed locust with black walnut. I have no idea what that wood is.

Magicman

I wondered about Sassafras. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Yes, sure does look like sassafras. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think sassafras is a good candidate to if there are no big rays showing up. Definitely not ash, and the woods are similar, but the bark isn't. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

kantuckid

I agree on the bark looking like Sassafras but lets go back to the smell? Should be obvious were that it. 

Swernicus

I have never encountered sassafras but I do know it grows in this part of Michigan.  The log is at the sawmill yard and I haven't been able to get up there since right now I'm collecting maple sap (it's been a good few days!).

I will be milling it on Saturday hopefully so I'll post some pictures once it's opened up.

I agree that the bark struck me as elm, but I do not remember any acidic type smell to it.

firefighter ontheside

Bark looks like sassafras to me too.  Of every wood I have milled or worked with, sassafras has had the strongest smell yet.  It actually smelled like lemons when I milled it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moodnacreek

This one is tricky. I cut sas from time to time and good diameter from N.J. [ours are always small]. The weight, smell and color would give it away. The bark can have those small plates and chip out like that. It's that end color the messes  me up.

stavebuyer

All the sassafras I have cut had an orange inner bark.

kantuckid

One persons orange is another persons rusty reddish brown?  :D
The sassafras log bed I built I sanded the outer bark to remove the flaky stuff- Neat piece actually. Not so neat is all the trees down on my woods roads, many today were smaller sassafras. Yesterday was a maple ~ 20-22" and next trip is some young poplars around 12". Maybe sleepy Joe will send me an extra check for lost timber?  ;D
I do wish he'd peel this log and get this figured out. 

Swernicus

Swernicus

Based on smell I'm thinking it's an elm

WDH

The simple to be sure is to look at then end grain to see if the latewood pores are arranged in wavy bands.  Here are some end grain pics with the wavy bands.

American elm

Thank You Sponsors!