iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Ash for construction

Started by RichieC, March 04, 2019, 07:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichieC

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys have used Ash as a framing lumber.  I need to build a covered shed for my sawmill.  Basically something that protects it from the weather but can allow me to mill under it as well.  I know Ash is not good for weather exposed use but how about roof framing or walls if the are sheathed?  I wouldn't normally even consider it but it's just that I have so much of it available.  Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

WV Sawmiller

I am currently using it for headers and trusses on my pole barn. Seems pretty stout and so far is holding up fine.

All the trusses and front and rear header on the last/closest bay are all ash.

I added shelves and most of the shelves and knee braces are ash.

More shelves
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RichieC

Thanks!  That's pretty much how I was thinking of using it.  In locations that really won't see weather much.  Barn looks great!!

paul case

I used ash lumber for the truss material in my house. Works very well.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

If you use ash figure on pre-drilling for every nail you use because it is hard and very straight grained and very prone to splitting. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

I used a fair amount of Ash and Honey Locust on this wood drying shed last summer. It has fairly large overhangs and I keep the grass and weeds trimmed back from the perimeter to reduce moisture around the exterior walls. ;D I guess you will have to ask me in 20 years or so how it's holding up!

Z
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Brad_bb

Ash is good wood.  Axe handles, tool handles, bats, beams, flooring, furniture...etc. One thing to think about is bug protection since you'll be using it outside.  Shell-guard, Boracare, etc. to keep Powder post beetles away.  Painting or finishing the surface with film coating  (oil is not enough) will keep them away.  When the adult lands on the wood, it tastes for starch, If they taste the wood, they will lay, if not, that is if they taste paint, clear coat, or a borate, they'll leave.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Doug, I don't know how Nebraska would be but here I would probably add a gutter and downspouts to prevent splash back on that rear wall.

Very nice drying shed.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Quote from: Magicman on March 05, 2019, 08:38:55 AM
Doug, I don't know how Nebraska would be but here I would probably add a gutter and downspouts to prevent splash back on that rear wall.

Lynn,
I put off installing gutter and downspouts because as you can see from the picture I have no trees around the area. Without trees to clog up gutters and downspouts with small limbs and leaves what fun would that be? ;D ;D

In all seriousness I do plan to install gutter and downspouts this spring along with a few other finishing touches. Like installing a weed mat and rock around the outside perimeter to keep the wet grasses and vegetation from growing up next to the walls as well. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!