iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw marks from a bandmill.

Started by Kansas, February 18, 2013, 01:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Quote from: Sixacresand on February 21, 2013, 08:25:55 PM
I milled some Pecan the other day and notice some of the boards had saw marks.  I checked the blade and found one tooth had a piece of metal bent over it.  I took my knife and pried if off.  I'm guessing it was in the log and got caught in the tooth.  It looked pretty neat. 

I hope you took time to find where you had hit the that peice of metal and put the boards aside before your planer finds it and then it costs a set of knives....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

johnjbc

Buy some of the course open sandpaper that they use on the first pass, to refinish a hardwood floor. Take a heavy duty 7" bench grinder and cut a thin metal disc to back up the biggest circle you can cut out of the paper. Think mine was 10". Secure the board on top of a couple saw horses and make one pass with the grinder and you will have your rough swan look.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Magicman

I like your method John.

I made some marks yesterday.  I saw sparks fly when the Debarker hit and "almost" dislodged the rock embedded in the bark.  The customer said that the marks were OK and I kept on sawing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!