iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you have fire extuinguishers on your equiptment?

Started by Joe Hillmann, January 30, 2015, 01:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

Just a safety reminder.  I don't have fire extinguishers on any of my outdoor equipment,  that will be changing this weekend.  I went out to load a log on my mill this morning with my tractor.  As soon as I started cranking it over the entire left side of the tractor was covered in flames that were over my head.  It took me 3 or 4 seconds to get off the tractor.  By that time the fire burned down to just a small fire on and around the carburetor which I was able to put out by beating it with my gloves. 

It looks like a steel fuel line loosened up or maybe cracked inside the fitting (I don't know yet) and started to leak a little and a spark from a bad plug wire, the exhaust or the starter set it off.  The conditions had to be just right for it to explode like it did.  Had it been much worse I wouldn't have been able to put it out and I probably would have lost the tractor. 

I am just posting this to remind people that it may be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher near by or mounted on any equipment you use.  A $20 extinguisher could save you many thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

blade69001

Not on the equipment. I do however have one on the wall right next to my resaw.
Sean P
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Nomad

Not on the mill, but there's one in the cab of my truck and it's never more than 20' from the mill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

I keep one in my truck which is close by.   Never had any scare.  Advantage of diesel I think.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: beenthere on January 30, 2015, 02:05:50 PM
Joe
That the Allis that did that?

Yep.  Just this weekend I finally got it to be useable for loading logs on the mill.  I made a 3 point for it and a set of short forks to go with it and now it wants to burn itself down.

Alligator

It pays to be prepared for fire. I was at a customer setting up a new PC, and the owner went tearing out of his office on a dead run, I said going to a fire. All he said was "yea" He text me these later. It's a fertilizer ag business obviously, not a sawmill, but fire in machinery is fire. They said it exploded twice, but I suspect it was the tires. If ammonia-nitrate explodes there is a lot fewer pieces to look at.

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

4x4American

At one job I worked at, I was carbon arcing on a Hood 20000 loader and well if you've been around them things you know they're just a glob of grease.  Anyways, I set the thing right on fire way down in.  The flames come up through and started tickling the oil pan.  I was jumpin around tryna smack it out.  Couldn't get to it.  So I went and got a fire extinguisher and put it out.  Bossman wasn't happy about that!  He said a shovel full of dirt will put out a grease fire quicker than anything....I said well sorry I didn't think about that I don't have a shovel anyways.  (it was in a shop with a concrete floor).  I ain't workin there no more.

But yes I do keep an extinguisher on board my truck at all times which always is near my mill.
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Joe,

Yes. I bought one as part of my start up safety equipment while waiting for my mill to be delivered. It is just a kitchen size ABC type extinguisher but should put out most small engine fires if you catch them fast enough.

When I was a kid fishing with my dad he refueled a 3 hp Johnson motor with tank on the top. The tank had a little air vent you opened too. Dad pulled the cord and a spark set the gas on fire he'd spilled on the motor. he tried to beat it out but no luck. Flames shot out that air vent for 30 minutes before he finally soaked a shirt in the river and smothered it.

Now I need to remember to wear steel toed boots. My son dropped a spud bar we were using to move small logs around the mill on my foot yesterday and I now have 3 black toes. Nearly broke them but looks like just bruised.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I've alway carried a couple of the little ones (about the size of a 20oz beer can) in the tray of the truck tool box, but my daughter bought me a bigger one for my birthday a week or so back.

This one is about 5" in diameter and about 12-14" tall, it will be mounted in the corner of the truck tool box!

I always have the truck on site, usually within 10-15' from the end of the mill, and if the extinguisher was mounted on the mill, there would be times where if a fire started, you couldn't get to it due to the position of the sawhead!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

One on the truck, one on the chipper and two next to the mill.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Larry

One of the first modifications on my mill.

Always there in plain sight and easy reach.  I can't depend on my truck always being right at the mill.  I can't depend on a helper to know a fire extinguisher is in my truck....someplace.... while I'm off with the property owner looking at a very valuable walnut. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!