iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracks in floor boards fillers?

Started by shad, December 11, 2011, 03:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

Hello, I'm in the process of building the Jack Sobon house. I used 2"x6" douglass fur for the upstairs subfloor but now I'm considering just finishing this instead of adding another layer of hardwood. Some of it shrank up leaving 1/8 to 3/16 cracks.
What can I use to fill these cracks before I finish the floors?

shinnlinger

why do you need to fill them???  Old timers would cram hemp rope in the cracks
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shad

I need to fill them to keep dust from filtering thru. Hemp rope is a good idea.
Ship builders used rope and pine tar to waterproof decks I read somewhere.
Can you still buy pine tar?

tyb525

You don't need the pine tar unless you're wanting to hold water with the floor, some oakum (hemp fiber), hemp rope, or spagnum moss should work fine. You'll want something flexible to still allow the boards to expand and contract.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

shad

Any thoughts on a natural low VOC finish? I was thinking about raw linseed oil but read it takes a long time to dry and turns black after several years.

tyb525

Walnut oil, although it doesn't form as much of a thick hard finish like a varnish would. It will penetrate the wood though and bring out the grain.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

shinnlinger

I used a product called"hard wax oil"on my white pine floors but was most pleased with tung oil covered with varnish
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

tyb525
Do you have a good source/brand that you use?

I notice it runs about $14 for 16 oz.  :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I use mahoneys, I've never used it on a floor, just on furniture, cutting boards, and bowls, however I think it would work for floors. It's easy to repair.

I didn't realize how expensive it was though, looks like almost twice the price of tung oil. Maybe someone knows of a bulk/wholesale supplier? Otherwise, it looks like there are other alternatives for much cheaper.

Thank You Sponsors!