iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First whack: Thanks for the Help!

Started by populus, February 07, 2005, 04:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

populus

We are a few weeks into sawing urban wood with our Lucas mill. I think we probably cut the learning time in half by reading about everyone else's experience on the Forestry Forum. Thanks to all of you for a great resource and inestimable support. Let's see, I think I owe everyone a milliwhack of oak, but I can't afford the shipping.

More pictures on my weblog at http://www.dlarborist.com/treetrends

Tagerts_crossing

That looks great, the wood and having the truck to haul it on as well as get the logs.  Is that a roll back with a winch?   John
John Schoolcraft

DanG

Way to go, Populus! 8)  That's a fine looking whack, for sure. Like the truck, too.  Is that an old tobacco barn in the background?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

populus

Thanks, guys. Yes it's a tobacco barn, but we use it for our nursery operations now.  The truck is a flatbed that we borrowed for this load, so I don't know much about it.

Cedarman

Looks like you are innoculated with sawdust now. No cure known.  Good luck with your adventure.

I hear there is some creative effort being given to
the use of all your old tobacco barns in your area.
Mine has open sides.  It is amazing how much lumber and equipment they hold.

Also, I've sold a good number of sassafras poles for porch railing. Truly, people will buy about anything.

My problem is I never throw anything away because, too many times people look at things in a way that is opposite of my thinking.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

populus

Yes, I am in love with sawdust. I have always been a tree guy,  but milling wood is a blast.  I really love seeing the inside of a tree as we open it up. 

I told my brother, the oceanographer, that a tree is the only organism that leaves a permanent record of its entire life, to be seen  for the first time by the sawyer.  He countered that coral does, but I responded "yeah, but who saws up coral?".

We have a lot of beautiful barns around here, and with the decline in tobacco they are being adapted to other purposes or knocked down.  All central Kentucky barns are black, the better to dry the tobacco.

Captain

Way to go Populus, keep on Swinging.

Captain

populus

Thanks, Captain! It is rather addictive. My clothes reek of red oak, and my wife won't let me keep my coats in the front closet  because it makes hers smell. Now, I can't wait to open up another oak and smell that great smell!

Thank You Sponsors!