iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Whack!

Started by Ugly Tree, January 17, 2015, 11:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Tree

Struggling with picture posting.  Obviously not the first to do that.  Anyway, got most of my SYP on the ground a couple weeks ago.  New Woodland showed up Friday.  Assembled today and hope to make the first cut tomorrow morning. That's 72 12'ers I scaled them at 6100 feet. 
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

golddredger

Sweeet!!! Pictures will get easier to do with practice. You will be a pro like when you finish that wack of logs. 8)
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

YellowHammer

Those will certainly keep you busy for awhile.  Congratulations on the mill.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

BCsaw

What are we building??

Now that you can post pics, you can keep us up to date!! :D :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

Now that is a Whack. :o   8)

Congrats on the mill and Happy Sawing.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Ugly, that is not ugly  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hookpilot

That is a lot better than my first wack 8) 8) have fun it is a steep learning curve, or maybe I'm just slow. :D  :D
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

Chuck White

Those are some beauties!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Let us know with a good story when you get to the last log.  ;D
Those are some really nice logs. Thanks for posting.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

78NHTFY

Good looking whack-o-logs ;D.  You will know what you're doing when you're through with those.  Happy sawing, in "rock valley"(Felsenthal) :P.!  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Tree Dan

Wow nice whack of logs....I want to see the Mill now ;D :snowfight1:
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Ga Mtn Man

Very NICE!  You should have your lube formula worked out by the time you finish that wack o'pine.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

pineywoods

Congratulations neighbor   8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

StimW

If you are just getting started grab the shortest, ugliest log to practice on.
Once you get the feel for the mill then move on to the cream of the pile.   
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

RM Farm

Nice logs, sure to be a lot saw dust :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

Ugly Tree

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Made this post at work late Saturday night.  Worked off graveyards, got me about an hour nap and got right to work on the mill.  Had the mill mostly put together but had to set the blade tracking and guides, oil up the motor and I wanted to check level again.  Being a former machinist, I had to use the transit.  I shot it in to what I thought was okay.(~3/16")  Tractor was low on diesel, so back to the gas station I went.  A dime waiting on a dollar.  Finally got my first cut.  Wow! I dont know what crack cocaine is like but it can not be more addicting than making boards.  That pine is absolutely beautiful.  Well, no more so than down at the lumber yard but its mine and was cut from my trees on my land.  There's just something really fulfilling about cutting ones own lumber.  Now to the good stuff.  Lessons learned-

1. There's alot more to cutting up lumber than just running a band saw through a log.  Really need to study up on how to plan my cuts and keep the pith centered. Cut lists will be an essential part of future milling. 
2. There's a big difference in cheap cant hooks.  ( i suppose)  Because the one I have is awful.  Need to look in to a Logrite. Turning the cant finally came down to a five foot bar and some muscle.
3. Help is great! My brother is a former saw miller and he's home right now from the pipeline.  It's awesome having someone else around that gets things and is mechanically inclined.  I won't say that I could not have done it without him but having him around certainly moves things along.
4. The wife loves pulling slabs!
5. Pine slabs make excellent yard fire material when the time comes around in the evening to pass the jar.
6. Remember that 3/16"? Well that runs out to an inch and a half if it is your center bunk that's high and you have a 12' log.  After the first log I noticed my last board had insane taper.  I was so caught up in making nice grain pine boards, I was not really watching quality control on dimensions.  Halfway through the second log, we shut down and broke out the transit again.  Got the mill +/- 1/16", resquared the second cant and went back to work.  All is good.
7. Would HIGHLY recommend the Woodland Mill HM 126 to anyone that is budget minded and entry level.  Awesome little machine for the right price.  Missing alot of bells and whistles of the bigger mills, but there's alot of room for mods for the mechanically minded. I see a trailer and come custom hydraulics in my near future.

We are starting a cut list today for some lumber and equipment sheds.  Next will be joists, studs and rafters for a stick frame house, then siding, then inside wall boards, trim, etc. (Basically anything that will save me a trip to the lumber yard).  A ton of work ahead, but as I said, very rewarding.

BIG thanks to everyone on here.  A wealth of knowledge posts on this board daily.  I have spent countless hours researching everything about everything to do with forestry on this site.  I have not found any better source of information anywhere. And that's saying alot because we live in the heart of the logging industry in South Arkansas/North Louisiana. I'm having to learn to process helpful hints from visitors and neighbors with courtesy, because some things people will tell you about what you "ought" to do are simply not best practices that I have learned on here.  Seems everyone knows how to cut up a tree in to lumber.  Like I said to begin with, its a whole lot more than just running a band saw through a log.
Trying to transfer some pics from phones to chromebook right now, but patience is wearing thin as I see rays of light through the trees to the East.  Got some added to the gallery but having issues sticking them in this post and I need more coffee.  Back on graveyards tonight so now to the mill I go.  Happy MLKJR day everyone!

Again, many thanks for all the kind words. Time to make sawdust.

Ugly Tree

Ugly Tree

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill!  Pretty logs & mill, but ugly tractor!  Looks like it has spent a lot of time out in the woods, with all that extra protection over the top.  Good help (and a good cant hook) around the mill is always welcome.  Keep an eye on those wood blocks for signs of settling that could throw your mill out of true.  Looking forward to pictures of the mill in action.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

StimW

You can't check the location of the log stops often enough!!
That will cost you your first blade. (and more even after you get use to the mill)
Find a routine and then follow each step, it will help you to not cut the stops.
Also do not try to back up the mill with the blade running. It will come off of the wheels with little pressure.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Nomad

Your wife likes pulling slabs?!? 8)  Hang on to that one!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ugly Tree

YellowHammer

There lots of things in life that require deep and contemplative thought....log hooks aren't one of them.  ;D. Just get a Logrite (or 2). 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

MSSawmill

Congrats on the mill! Good luck with it. That SYP is fun to cut, but wait until you slice open an oak or a cedar! Then you'll really be hooked!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

pineywoods

Ugly tree, now you have a real problem..You'll work play with the new mill all day, don't get any sleep, and then have to work graveyard shift.  ;D When you get ready for hydraulics, come visit me.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

5quarter

Quote from: Ugly Tree on January 19, 2015, 07:39:50 AM
...My brother is a former saw miller...

No such thing.  ;) :D :D congrats!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ugly Tree

Will do, Piney.  Might be coming sooner rather than later.  Worked off graveyards yesterday morning and spent many hours trying to re-level after the mill had settled.  Has me ready to put it on a rigid trailer frame to make everything easier.  Will definitely need those hydraulics then.  Very interested in your's and Planman's solar kilns too.  Is that your place on the right leaving Marion heading to Sterlington?

pineywoods

Quote from: Ugly Tree on January 22, 2015, 08:23:59 AM
Will do, Piney.  Might be coming sooner rather than later.  Worked off graveyards yesterday morning and spent many hours trying to re-level after the mill had settled.  Has me ready to put it on a rigid trailer frame to make everything easier.  Will definitely need those hydraulics then.  Very interested in your's and Planman's solar kilns too.  Is that your place on the right leaving Marion heading to Sterlington?

Nope, that would be LeroyC, super nice guy, runs a fully loaded woodmizer LT40 super. Take the next left to my place, behind the old abandoned school. 500yd on the right, mill is in the back yard. Planman is a bit harder to find  ;D

fishfighter

Hi there tree. New member here and yes, I live in Louisiana. I see you have a Woodland 126. Well, I just order one today. How you like it? Treating you right? If you were closer, I would of like to come by and check out your mill. I live about 35 miles north of Baton Rouge.

Ugly Tree

Fishfighter,love the mill. Being level is critical. Nice price for entry level. Not a money maker but will cut some lumber up for personal use,no doubt. Best of luck.

Thank You Sponsors!