iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still Winter

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2002, 01:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Here are 3 picturs all taken from my front door. We have a winter Storm parked on is on this date. The middle photo just turned out that way, it was near dark and I turned off the flash, and I got blue, peculiar, I'm no photographer so I have no idea what causes that.

This Morning its lookin mighty unfriendly out...

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I'd say "unfriendly" was a rather mild term. :o  The pix are purty, though. I like the blue one.

Our own brand of misery has been visited upon us, in N. Fla, this weekend. We've had about 6 inches of rain!  Things sure are soggy, but at least it isn't cold.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Here's another out the front Window. The wind is suppose to pick up today and start blowing this stuff around. Plus the temp has fallen into the teens. Right now its beautiful. I should go out and try to get a "Good Picture"

Pretty warm and comfy right here though...

Bibbyman

It was 41 and raining yesterday morning when son Chris and I took off to attend the Missouri Deer Classic up in Columbia, MO.  We went about 10 miles north and ran into snow.  By the time we made it to Columbia,  I70 traffic was down to a crawl and a lot of people must have decided to park in the ditch or the median – some on their tops!

The snow continued until after dark and the trees looked like the ones in your pictures.  This morning the sun came out bright and the wind must have knocked the snow off'n many of the trees.  

Anyway,   here is the view this morning from our front porch.

You may be able to make out old barn and house on hill in middle of picture.  This is the only house we can see from ours and its a 15 mile drive to get there although its only a mile away.

Panning to the west. Still some snow stuck to the ceders.

View to the west.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I find it difficult to represent a long, steady, drizzly rain from the front door.  The yard is just before flooding but the ditches are handling it so far.  The bright dots in the forground are streams of water running from the roof but stopped in midair by the flash on the camera.  It's 10am and dark enough that it could be 7pm.

I'm inside with my computer, radio, coffee and a full refrigerator thank goodness.

L. Wakefield

euch, yaa, look at that standin water! Makes a person glad if they have no holes in their boots! In WV, I used to make boots last longer by putting my feet in plastic bags before stepping into the boots. I've gotten a little higher up the food chain since then, I guess!   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

CHARLIE

Wind cranked up Friday night sometime and we had about 3" of snow to greet us Saturday morning. The wind was doing a great job making drifts though. We were having company come that evening and I kept having to go out and shovel the drifts away. >:(  Early this morning (Sunday) there is no wind and not a cloud in the sky and the temp in tropical Dover Minnesota was at -5 degrees. It has...warmed...up to
-2 degrees now. ::)  Heck, if we had one of those heatwaves like Michigan is having, where the temps were in the teens, I'd go out and lay in the snow and get a tan. ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

It brings to mind a comment about a cow and flat rock, LW.

Ron Wenrich

We would welcome any kind of moisture that we could get.  Farmers are longing for any kind of snow, just so they could get moisture into the ground.  Rainfalls are off 25%, and we had the driest February ever.  Less than 1/2" of rainfall.

Newspaper says a farmer dug a hole for burning old orchard trees.  Went down 6' and it is bone dry.  Many wells are drying up, and it ain't even summer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CHARLIE

Ron, it's dry in Minnesota too. We didn't get our normal snowfall and the farmers are complaining about not having enough moisture in the ground. Of course, that's what farmers do best is complain. One year they were having a bumper corn crop and a farmer said; "Yeah, bumper crops are bad. It drives down the prices and it's hard on the equipment." ::)
Anyway, we'll take all the moisture we can get at this point.

Tom, is that a new metal shed I see? Or am I cornfused? :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Just went out and measured on the flat.  16 inches from this storm.

Bibbyman

LW,
Worked many a cold muddy and snowy day with two pair of socks on and bread sacks over them to keep the wet from reaching my feet. ::)  

Here it is past 10 and I ain't even put my boots on yet!  Did step out in my socked feet about 8 and took the pictures above.  Came back in and had to take my socks off because of bark chips sticking on the bottom of my feet from the skiff of snow I was walking through on the porch.  
 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Here is one more that I took before I shoveled the driveway, looking back towards the house.  I now have piles over chest high!

Ron Scott

It looks like I might have to get on those snowshoes yet this winter as the woods access are now snowed over.

Jeff, I was going to work in the Lily Lake Area tomorrow, but may put that off since you measured 16" down your way. My gauge here is on 12". I'd rather drive to the marking area rather than snowshoe in with all the marking paint.

Hopefully this new snow depth will drop soon.    
~Ron

Bud Man

March --In like a Lion --out like a Lamb  
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Kevin

Bud Man

Sure would help you know what to pack if you're going on a three day hike.  Really shows Washington and Oregon's true to life nature of lush green and mild winter climate brought about by off shore thermal winds      Thank's Kevin , A picture really is worth 1000's of words !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tillaway

Ya... it's tough.  It has been about 70 degrees for the past week although there was ice  :o on the puddles up where we have been planting trees.  The trees are leafing out and the almonds are nearly through blooming.  We have had the sliding doors open all weekend and my wife is outside reading a book.  Believe it or not but I already have a little sunburn. ;D 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

L. Wakefield

EEE-HAA! :D :D   That's RAIN you see over me in Maine. I think we got at least an inch. That's about 2.5 we've made up since they told us we were 22" lacking. This one ran off some, but it soaked in a lot too. I know cuz we went for a humongous walk in the woods with a friend who's interested in hunting out here later. My puppy Franklin (terror of the highways!) found a skipper skull portion with the spike antlers still attached. He was extravagantly praised (first time he's ever heard the word 'good' from my husband..) and had many dog biscuits for that find. We're hoping our next walk he'll find moose antler sheds.. this is way better than when he fetches home the neighbor's trash.. :D   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Lw - Seen articles and a show or two about dogs being trained to sniff out sheds and  Morel's in the spring - sounds like a good rewarding goal to teach a dog-- my dogs are pugs -no snout and no ability to smell at all. I have to show them thier bowls so they know it's time to eat :D :D

Cedar Eater

Spent the whole day plowing snow. Got stuck 3 times. Sure is good to have a 4WD tractor to pull the ancient F350 outa trouble with. Lost a windshield wiper. Cleared my driveway, a neighbors driveway and the road to the landing. Cut 20 - 30 tag alders (speckled alder) leaning over the roads. Useless trees. Another snow like this and I won't have anywhere to push it.

Just another beautiful day in paradise. 8) 8) 8)

Cedar Eater

CHARLIE

I'm sure glad youse guise in Mitchigan got all dat snow.  I think I'd rather have the little bit of below zero temps 'cause ya don't haveta shovel that.  ;D   It's tough when it gets so deep you don't have anywhere to put the snow. you shovel.  We've had snowfalls like that, but not this year. ;D ;D ;D  What I hate about shoveling is that it's like digging a ditch in the cold and then a little later it's all filled in again. >:(   Sumpin' else. Don'tcha just hate it when you're using the snowblower and the wind blows it back into your face! :o Sheeesh that hurts! Just like an ice cream headache without the icecream.
Charlie

Corley5

Dad and I came home Sunday night to 18"-+.  Spent most of Monday with the tractor and blower cleaning up the mess.  Glad it's a seven foot blower 8)  We left for Arkansas Thursday thinking we'd enjoy a nice spring weekend in the south.  Wrong!!  The trip down wasn't bad we ran into some rain just out of Little Rock and it rained all the way to Ozark our destination.  Saturday morning the rain turned to snow.  The biggest snow flakes I've ever seen.  They were 3 to 4" in diameter.  Walking outside was like walking into the middle of a snowball fight.  The temps fell into the twenties by noon.  We got loaded and were out of there by 5:30PM.  We came home with a Farmall 200 and a Farmall Cub with a belly mower.  We had serious head winds once we turned north on I-55 in Ark. and Mo. and I-57 in Ill. and had snow on and off all the way home.  The roads weren't bad except for stretch on I-69 just into Mi and I-75 from Clare north to home.  It's still winter :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

marty

This is the biggest storm we've had in four years. 8) marty

Steve

You all think you have it bad ;)! We had another doozy of a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon. Dropped another 4 to 5 inches. That makes almost 50" of rain this year. 75 days roughly. Now I'll grant you it is a warm rain, unlike Ketchikan but it still makes mud.
It is getting ridiculous really!
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!