iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

592 XP bar/chain combo

Started by 1Savagehunter, December 22, 2023, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Savagehunter

Just curious what you all think would be the optional combo for this saw.  I'm looking at the 36" bar as i'll be using it for big wood felling and also stumping in my arborist business.  I'ma bit torn between the regular X bar or the X lite.  The dealer was trying to sell me into a 36" lite with a 0.05 chain but I kinda was thinking 0.058 or 0.063 would be the better choice for this saw.  Hoping some of you might shed some light on the topic.
thanks in advance for your help.
Not all who wander are lost (Tolkien)

DHansen

Just my thoughts on this based on what I did with my 592XP.  Mine has a 32" Husqvarna brand .063 gauge X tough lite bar.  I have a 385 with a normal 32" Husqvarna bar.  I really do not notice much of a difference in weight or balance.  I question which one is a stronger bar if it were to get pinched in a cut or a twist during an unexpected snap.   There are even lighter weight bars in the same length by other manufactures.  But we are talking ounces of bar weight on a 16lbs saw.  If I went out and purchased a 36" bar today for the 592xp, price would factor into my decision.  If price did not matter I would by the normal bar just because my unconfirmed notion is that bar is stronger and will last longer.

lxskllr

I have a 661 I bought with a 36" bar, and I find it nose heavy to an uncomfortable degree. My primary goal was milling, so it works out, but if I were using it to routinely fell/buck trees, I'd want a light bar. If it were me, I'd get two bars for the saw. A 28" when you want the power but don't need the length, and 36" when you need the length. You might be able to save a couple bucks and get a standard bar on the 28", but I'd definitely get a light bar for the 36"

Gauge doesn't matter much imo. I'd get what you're already running, or start standardizing around one gauge. My stuff's all 0.50. No problems.

DHansen

Just to add this comment, again an opinion.  My 592XP with the 32" bar is nose heavy when walking with the saw and carrying the saw one handed. It is not comfortable walking with it one handed and worse when the nose and chain snag brush. The 36" obviously will be worse.  A two-hand carry is easier for me.    But when working and cutting I do not notice the issue with bar weight.   For me most of my time is near the work area and not a lot of carry time.  It comes down to the amount of time you are transporting the saw on foot.  Just the nature of a long bar.

1Savagehunter

Quote from: DHansen on December 22, 2023, 10:12:28 AM
Just to add this comment, again an opinion.  My 592XP with the 32" bar is nose heavy when walking with the saw and carrying the saw one handed. It is not comfortable walking with it one handed and worse when the nose and chain snag brush. The 36" obviously will be worse.  A two-hand carry is easier for me.    But when working and cutting I do not notice the issue with bar weight.   For me most of my time is near the work area and not a lot of carry time.  It comes down to the amount of time you are transporting the saw on foot.  Just the nature of a long bar.

yes i totally agree - i tend to sling my saw over my shoulder on a shoulder pad.

DHansen

Cool avatar.  What Stihl saw is on your shoulder in that photo?

1Savagehunter

Quote from: DHansen on December 22, 2023, 02:52:02 PM
Cool avatar.  What Stihl saw is on your shoulder in that photo?

My 460 ... that's my pride a joy.  It's a ported Timberwolf Special.

Woodcutter_Mo

The x-tough 32" was a little nose heavy on my 592, the 28" x-tough light balances almost perfect. I would think the 32" x-tough light would work well also. I run .050 on mine, haven't had any problems with it. However the heavier gauge chain may be better for your heavy duty use. Not sure about your area, but but I would go with .063 vs .058 gauge. The .063 is just more common and universal atleast around here, the .058 seems more Husky specific.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

DHansen

I have been using the Oregon 75EXJ105 on my .063" gauge lite bar.  Skip cutter tooth pattern.  Have not tried the standard  cutter tooth pattern.  I also want to try the X-Cut chain on this saw to see what I think.  Even from brand new I have always run the same Oregon chain on this saw.

Thank You Sponsors!