iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Added another Skidder

Started by smwwoody, December 31, 2014, 08:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

I picked up a nice Franklin Q80c Yesterday.

Wow what a horse.  This thing handles our big Barko loader much better than the old 170.  The feller buncher operator is building drags twice as big as he did for the 170
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

HiTech

That sure is a Big Boy's Toy. Nice looking machine. That baby should pull some wood. Good luck.

timberlinetree

That is a monster. Congratulations, it looks really good! She'll move some wood!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

loggah

Those Q80's are quite a tractor, lot more iron in them than the old 170's. I still liked the center oscillation on the old ones.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

smwwoody

yea that center oscillation is tough to beat.  The Q80 looked like an elephant riding a skate board on the trailer but i moved it 60 miles and it did just fine.  friday we will be able to see how it really does there are about 35 drags layed out for it.  we set the loader in place yesterday at the end of the day on the new job so we are ready to roll with it first thing friday.  I want to keep the old 170 as a backup and to run with the Q80 when we have a long skid.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Firewoodjoe

Are the parts still easy to get?

smwwoody

parts are no problem for the franklins.  most are off the shelf parts.  winches axles and trannys are franklin only but aftermarket parts has most of that covered.  most people are scared of the parts and that helps keep the price down on the franklin skidders
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

RayMO

Very nice skidder but the truck would excite me more right now . Hauling logs on a gooseneck is for the birds .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

smwwoody

after running them both for a few years (848 and 545) my skidder opp says he doesnt see much difference between the Q80 a 545 cat and a 848 john deere.  the biggest difference he saw was that the 545 is faster
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

loggah

I dont think a Q80 will brake you when you need parts ,like the big Cats and John Deeres!!!! ;D I think you could pick up two Q80's for what the big Cat or John Deere costs also !!!! :laugh: A buddy of mine runs a Q80 and he hasn't had many problems with it.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

clww

Congratulations on your new monster machine! :new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Firewoodjoe

Q80 equal to a 848 and 545. So what would the Q90 be like? 😳

Southside

Nice machine, best of luck with her.  What does that monster weigh?  What does it have for an engine? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

smwwoody

She weighs in at 19 ton. It has a 6bt cummins @ 220 hp
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

my skidder operator to the day off friday to hunt so I got to run the Q80 for a few hours.  it comes through the woods the same loaded  or empty.  I like it a lot.  You dont need much skill to pull a big drag just pick it up and drive to the loader
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!