iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broke my westernstar today, got a ? for you guys

Started by Woodhauler, December 21, 2010, 06:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Lost the yoke off the input shaft on my front rearend and messed up the threads ,got all the parts to fix in the morning but am trying to find the nut size on the input so i can get a thread chaser or die for it. It is metric i think? And this came off with no warning,no vibration untill the second it came off!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

jimparamedic

Go to where you get parts for it and look up the nut there or if you have a good repair manuel it should be in it

bushmechanic

If you know what kind of rear ends are in it might help,Rockwell or Eaton,40 000 or 46 000 pound.A thread file would work for you there,can be got at Snap-on or Mac tools,and are available in metic or standard thread pitches. 

Autocar

Have you got her back togather yet ? The new nuts have like a plastic on them and it is like a lock nut. I cold chiseled one off here a while back and had to replaced it with a new one.
Bill

Woodhauler

Yes got it going the next day, 3 hours with a file and thread chaser to get a nut back on! Will be keeping a close eye on it for awhile!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

H60 Hawk Pilot

Well you mentioned the magic word.. Watch it for awhile. Most of the time, if the Nut spins off and it was on there for sometime.. other things are going on. Did you have oil leakage and play. When you loose your pre-load due to bearing wear, things start moving around and the Yoke Nut get's hammered (loosen up all the time).

I use a jack stand or cut to length steel bar to stick under the yoke on the one side of the yoke to get the right torque on the yoke nut (good and tight). We all use impact's and it get's the nut down there but my toque multplier finishes the job. Also, the hammerig with the big 3/4 or one inch impact beats the differntial drive gut's up another wrong answer. When I get a problem child drive line, I stake the Nut with a heavy punch to get it to stay together until I get the parts into fix it 100% with new parts.  <<< Going back to the lost of pre-load and internal bearing wear  and re-shimming the through shaft and all that to repair it.   

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!