iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing Saws

Started by ahlkey, April 26, 2013, 04:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I have been thinking of purchasing a professional clearing saw given their overall quality and durability. The work would include clearing steep hillside honeysuckles and other evasives, thinning within small woodlots, trail cutting and pruning, etc....  The young tree saplings alone could easily range between 3-5 inches. Bending over with a chainsaw and machete gets old real quick.     

The options I have looked are the Sthil models FS-460/FS-560 and the Husky 555FX saw.   I noticed at my local Dolmar dealer a NEW Dolmar MS-4510 model for sometime and while it comes in at 45cc / 3.1 hp it is only 17 lbs.   Anyone have any experience with this Dolmar clearing saw?  I do have a 7900 Dolmar chainsaw and have been very happy with its power/weight ratio which is the primary reason I am considering this MS-4510 model.   

SwampDonkey

No experience with Dolmar. can't give an opinion on it. Most crews in our area run Stihl FS550-560 or Husqvarna 555FX. Used to have some Echo users, but they stopped making their pro saw. I think there is a Jonsered pro saw out now to, no idea of the model. But they look like the 555FX.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

I like to use my stihl power pruner to reach into big multiflora roses to cut the center out. Might work for the honeysuckle too. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Quicker with a brush saw. Just like cutting elders and on to the next. ;D Now roses, wild plums and hawthorns you can use the pruners, cause I ain't touch'n them. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Compensation

This might not be the answer you want but considering this ms 230 I just bought makes stihl #15 for me I will toss out this opinion. I have recently cut out over 300 saplings up to 8" diameter on a hillside so steep you can only slide down. There is no way I would pull out a big saw for this, too heavy. So I went to the shop and got this ms-230 with easy start and that new duro chain. With everything I cut down I have yet to resharpen the chain. My baby 170 needs sharpening every 10 feet in a fence row and this new one can cut rotten wood all day with saplings galore. It cost me about $375 out the door. If your hill is too steep I would try a pole pruner.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Compensation

sorry I am dyslexic. I seen ms460 not fs460. Haha I can't seem to get my foot to reach my mouth.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

sawguy21

That is likely the last new MS-4510 in captivity, the model has been discontinued. Good saws but would not meet EPA requirements and sales were poor. Husky and Stihl have that market cornered.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ahlkey

Do you know when it had been discontinued? i think this model has been in his shop for over a year but it is still new.

Thank You Sponsors!