iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 x 12 x 20 SYP columns

Started by Ugly Tree, October 10, 2013, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Tree

Hello all, New member here,
I'll be purchasing a hobby size mill shortly after the first of the year.  Main purpose is to harvest my own timber and build (my last) house.  Was wondering about any perceived difficulties in kiln or air drying large column sized SYP cants (12 x 12 x 20'+).  I'm right up the road from pineywoods so I'm sure i'll be seeking out his opinion in particular but I was interested if anyone else had any experience drying wood of this size.  Thanks to all for any input.
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

red oaks lumber

welcome to the forum!
typically when i have large timbers/beams to saw and dry. i'll saw 1" oversize on the 2 widths, after air/k.drying i put them back on the mill and recut to my final size. pay real close attention to having the back sqaure up to the stops.
by resawing the beams alot of the time you'll saw out any larger cracks and twist and discoloring.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pineywoods

Welcome neighbor. You are right in the middle of a bunch of sawdust junkies. There's seven mills in and around marion, another one over in crossett.  Big beams.. LeroyC is located about 3 miles south of marion. Most of what he saws is beams, some as big as 18X18. He has the equipment to handle logs that size, I don't. Stop by and visit, Most of us are more or less retired..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ugly Tree

Thanks Red Oaks.  Appreciate the tip.  Piney, I'm an operator at the Eldo refinery and stuck on graveyards through a turnaround.  As soon as I get freed up, I'd love to shoot down and check out yours and/or Leroyc's operation. Looking like another three to four weeks.  Appreciate the invite.  Looking forward to making dust.
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

Thank You Sponsors!