iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cedar on the mill and a Chinese Tallow (Popcorn tree)

Started by MSSawmill, March 03, 2014, 10:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Wick, I have a feeling that you have many very small plants.  Maybe no identifiable trees as such, but the seeds spread.   I constantly pull them up from the flower beds and most everywhere else that is not lawn here at home.  Look for the heart shaped leaves.  They are deep rooted and I have to use the Leatherman tool to pull them up.

(I must not have any either because it does not show up in my Tree Identification book.)   :-\   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

I read up on the taxonomy of the chinese tallow tree...in one paragraph it describes how to best take care of it and the next paragraph describes the best ways to kill it off. ??? :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: 5quarter on March 06, 2014, 10:50:21 PM
I read up on the taxonomy of the chinese tallow tree...in one paragraph it describes how to best take care of it and the next paragraph describes the best ways to kill it off. ??? :D

Based on my experience with them in my yard, nothing short of a small nuclear weapon will kill them off...

Herb

Wick

Yeah Magic, he transplants the small ones from the landscape beds.  ::) I just meant we haven't seen them in the woods so much. We  hunt his property too and would have probably noticed them. I hope they are not spreading everywhere, but I'm sure they are. Maybe just on neighboring properties.  :-X. I'll keep my eyes open.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

WDH

The seeds are most easily spread by water, as in areas prone to flood or high water.  Most of the Louisiana and South Mississippi bottomlands flood at one point or the other. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gcgrant

Found the discussion on the Chinese Tallow interesting.  I googled it and was surprised to find that it does have a lot of fans and to some it has a lot of commercial value, not in the wood but in the seeds.
I'll try to attach a link to what I was reading.

Interesting topic......GCGranthttp://www.arinvasives.org/downloads/tallow-tree/tallowtree2.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!