iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you price this job?

Started by Nomad, July 07, 2012, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I got a call today from a fella asking for a price on cutting about 1500 linear feet of logs into a "D" profile for a cabin he wants to build.  He's supplying the logs, and says they'll be white pine.  Says he'll have the logs delivered here to Florida, to cut on his property. 
     He says he's done this before in Vermont and it worked well.  He's supplying the labor. 
     Now, the questions.  I've never done a job quite like that before.  I've never sawn white pine before either.  Any suggestions on how to price a job like this?  How does white pine saw? 
     Further, this job will be about 150 miles west of my home base in Jacksonville.  If I turn this down, (or he turns me down :D) is there anybody closer who'd be interested?  You'd need to be portable; he wants to do it at the building site. 
     I'd like to be able to give the guy a basic idea of costs, although there's no hurry on the cutting part.  He's looking toward the end of the year.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

lyle niemi

I just started to cut D logs today 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

White Pine saws really well. I use the 10 degree blade from Woodmizer. No problems.

If the logs are green, sap will be a small issue building up on the blade, but no sweat. A good lube mixture and a spray bottle of Diesel, sprayed every now and again on the blade will get you through the job. A little diesel spray every now and again will not stain the wood. Trust me.

If the logs are dryer, say a year old.....the sawing is even better. Not as much sap build up.

About your traveling expenses.....I'll leave that to Magic Man. He got the prices on traveling and how to charge down pat. I am stationary so I'll leave the $$$$$ part to the mobile guys.  :)

But Nomad.....you'll enjoy sawing White Pine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 07, 2012, 07:19:37 PM
About your traveling expenses.....I'll leave that to Magic Man. He got the prices on traveling and how to charge down pat.

How did I get into this?  If I lived in Jacksonville, I would charge $225 for travel and setup, Lodging, and $60 per hour.  Since I don't live in Jacksonville, I would charge $650 for travel and setup, Lodging and $60 per hour.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2012, 07:37:48 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 07, 2012, 07:19:37 PM
About your traveling expenses.....I'll leave that to Magic Man. He got the prices on traveling and how to charge down pat.

How did I get into this?  If I lived in Jacksonville, I would charge $225 for travel and setup, Lodging, and $60 per hour.  Since I don't live in Jacksonville, I would charge $650 for travel and setup, Lodging and $60 per hour.   :)

:D :D :D :D :D    You're too FUNNY Lynn    :D :D :D :D :D
But me being stationary, I just thought you might......................................awww what the heck.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

nomad
If he is doing the directing, then for sure I'd suggest a per hour price (that you feel comfortable with) on a daily basis, and add your travel costs, plus room and board where you want to stay.

If it takes a week or two or three, have that in mind as well.

Does he expect anything from you other than to bring your mill and operate it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Round figures, that job is 100 logs and you should be able to do it in a week.  OK, that depends upon your sawmill, but it is still close.

This year's IRS Per Diem rate is $123 per day and the mileage figure is .555 per mile.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Go with your established hourly rate!

If he's providing the men/machines to handle the logs, he'll probably keep you busy, time is money, his!

Sounds like a good job.

I had one of those lined up 3 years ago, but it hasn't happened yet!

The customer keeps saying "one of these days" !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

There are several ways of looking at this. One is that you have some mighty fine equipment and might need to charge a little bit more than some others. The other side of the coin is that you might feel you have less experience and should charge less. Just make sure that you are going to make a profit or it might take some of the fun out of it. I don't like to charge by the hour as I tend to do better by the BF. Is he wanting boards cut off of the 3 sides or just thick slab? I have customers that want me to give them a price break on the bf price if we are cutting timbers and such, but I don't, due to the fact that the bigger logs and timbers require lots of extra effort to move off of the mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

swampbuggy

Ok, I'll ask the question. What do you use to saw a "D" shape other than a planer?
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

customsawyer

Just cut three sides and leave the last one live edge.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Thanks for the advice, all.  Talked with the guy today and we agreed on a (jacked-up) hourly rate to account for lodging.
     He doesn't want any side lumber from the D logs; he has plans for the slabs.  He IS getting enough logs to cut some dimensional lumber too, though.  He'll also have a machine to move the logs, along with 5 or 6 people.  And to top it off, he's peeling the logs before we do any sawing.
     This won't happen until cooler weather, though.  And if it all comes through as advertised, I'm gonna make a donation to the tooth fairy too!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Way to go!   smiley_thumbsup  Once you sell yourself and the customer realizes that you are the correct choice, travel is not an issue.

drobertson

I have recently cut some D logs of syp. 6 X 7 by 8 to 12 feet in length. It was for a 28 X32 cabin. I cut by the bf. at .15. it worked out well for me. Got two pcs per log with four wedges that cut into 2 X6 and 2X4's Just a bit labor intensive but they were happy. the secret is to cut heavy on the wall thickness side, then come back and finish parallel to bed rails. that way overlap in minimal. the six inch side is easy enough. The product is the d log not just the extra lumber. plus I get to see it nearly everyday. They did a good job. good luck.  David

x
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

drobertson,welcome to the forum. What kind of mill do you have? saw full time,part time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Thanks for the welcome, wish I had found this sooner.   I am using the wood mizer 40 super, I do cut for a living. Custom cutting is just a bit feast and famine here in southern Missouri. There are many mills mostly production type yards cutting ties and flooring. I retired from injection mold building in 07 and have been cutting since then. I am near a million board feet  cut on the mill, and for the most part  still having fun. I just enjoy helping folks with their building needs.  Just finished a job for a 30 foot bridge. and will begin some eastern red cedar, just trying to get the gumshin to bear the heat. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!