iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boil'm or steam'm

Started by Raym, March 04, 2014, 08:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Once I get the dehumidification kiln running (waiting on power) I plan on sticking some rough turned bowls (usually turned to about and inch or so) in there with drying loads to dry. I have the option of steaming them or boiling them first. which is better or does it matter. My understanding is that the moist heat breaks down the membrane surrounding the cells and will allow it to dry quicker/better with less loss to cracks. Any thoughts?
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

drobertson

Never have done either, only talked with a turner, sawed some burl for him.  He said he used a microwave, and a moist towel,  Sounded crazy to me, he says it works great.    Just a thought,      david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

We do sometimes steam wood prior to drying, especially thick pieces, to try to relieve stress, but it does not work well.  Nothing special happens within the wood other than some relaxation.  The cell membranes do not change.  What does happen is that you have a lot of heat when you take the piece out of the steam or boiling water and this causes the loss of quite a bit of water almost instantly.  Long steaming or boiling can reduce the moisture to around 25% MC.  This drying can even cause cracking.  Do you want this fast drying?  Also, we know that rewetting can cause serious cracking, so if the bowls are not soaking wet (probably not that wet in your case) this does not make much sense.  In other words, I see risk but not much benefit.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

red oaks lumber

bowl turner around here,rough turns them green then buries them in kitty litter for about a month. stirring them every week. his theory is the kitty litter removes moisture at a slower rate and the fact its buried it isnt exposed to the dryer air.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mesquite buckeye

One of my big drying secrets is to put figured blocks like turning wood and gunstocks either stickered or tilt stacked inside a conex (big steel shipping container). The day/night temperature variations are reduced and humidity from the wood raises the internal humidity of the container so the material drys almost perfectly where otherwise it would crack badly, even when anchorsealed. More: 1. I never fill the entire container with material, probably never over 20% filled. 2. I live in a desert, so the normal humidity is frequently 20% or below. You may get a bunch of moldy wood doing this in a moister climate. 3. I think you could use the technique in a moister climate with a dehumidifier. But then, duh, you have a dehumidification kiln, don't you.

Just sayin. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Raym

Well it looks like my first experiment will be to just stick them on a shelf with a load of lumber and see what happens. I was thinking that boiling them or steaming them first would help stabilize them from cracking but Dr. Gene squased that idea. 

Man wouldn't it be great to have him as a neighbor? But then again with these forums everyone is a neighbor!!

Maybe experiment #2 would be to rough turn both halves and boil one side and not the other and see what happens.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

SwampDonkey

Some fellows stick the partly turned bowls in a paper bag and place on a drying shelf. I know one member here (actually another couple that are less frequent on the forum as well) that has a room full of either partly turned bowls or rounds. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Some turners also place them in a freezer, which also provides slow drying as the ice sublimes (converts to vapor without first being a liquid).
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den-Den

I turn quite a lot; usually coat rough-outs with anchor-seal and dry them under a shed with very few problems.  I have tried boiling rough-outs when someone wanted turnings from their post oak.  Post oak is very difficult to dry without major cracking.  It did reduce cracking and shortened drying time (did not reduce warping), it seeming like more trouble than it was worth for most woods.  Madrone is commonly boiled (also very difficult to dry).  Search for Steve Russel for more information on boiling wood.  I would guess that steaming could help also but have no idea of time or temperature needed.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

mesquite buckeye

How about freezing, then applying a vacuum? ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!