iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A good weekend

Started by jwilly3879, January 25, 2015, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

My son and I worked 6 hrs Saturday and 4 hrs today and here's the pile of aspen pulp. 3+ triaxle loads of 8.5 cords apiece.

Working in the front yard is tight. Usually pile next to the loader but the driveway is there.

After we get the aspen finished we can start of the pine.

Ken

Nice neat pile of poplar.  Big poplar always adds up nice.   Do you have to cut it 8'?  We used to but the local pulp mill buys random length now which is much easier to deal with.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

xalexjx

looks like your taking advantage of these ideal cutting conditions, ground froze and not a ton of snow!
Logging and Processed Firewood

jwilly3879

Ken. The shavings plant only will take 8' that's the longest they can fit in the box and any shorter they lose production. Some of the hitches were 2 cord+

Some of it is a little punky and some is nice and solid.

No mud is nice too, only had to sharpen once today.

coxy

was going to ask this before but keep forgetting you guys get paid by the ton right  if so do they dock you for very muddy wood as saying there may be 1000-1500 pounds of mud on a load  was just wondering

jwilly3879

This actually gets stick scaled, the truck averages 8.5 cord/load.

xalexjx

thats where i sent some too this summer when they payed me a mileage bonus. Payed almost the same as hardwood
Logging and Processed Firewood

coxy

Quote from: jwilly3879 on January 26, 2015, 06:49:41 AM
This actually gets stick scaled, the truck averages 8.5 cord/load.
but do they dock you for mud

jwilly3879

They don't dock for mud, they debark everything first.

Southside

Is there no market for aspen logs up that way?  Some of those look like they would make good saw logs.  Our grade tulip poplar pays twice what pine pays. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tj240

there is a market for poplar, aspen logs. 250-260 per thousand, but alot of what we are cutting has rot. the log market turns the logs for plywood, cant have rot in the center, thats where the chuck goes but it is a good market for good logs
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

Thats a nice neat pile. I asked a local trucker about sending some up your way, either pine or poplar and by the time i got done the trucking wouldnt make it worth it. Got some hemlock headed to finch this week hopefully, if we dont get buried.

jwilly3879

Most of our wood is trucked 20 miles or less. Finch is about 35 and IP about the same.

CCC4

BargeMonkey

My saw logs are going less than 20-30 miles right now, and everything else only goes to our mill. Had the pulp man on a roll this spring but havent had much lately. A local kid who worked for us summers is a forester for finch now and one of these days ive been promised a tour. Still want to make a run up to your area one of these days. Tug boating has been about it lately, but they decided due to some obscure "rule" they could cut my pay, lets just say it isnt working out to profitable for them right now.  :D

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Southside logger on January 29, 2015, 09:37:55 PM
Is there no market for aspen logs up that way?  Some of those look like they would make good saw logs.  Our grade tulip poplar pays twice what pine pays.
our tulip is very different ss. not even the same family. tulip poplar is related to magnolia. i love workin big poplar lol.

Thank You Sponsors!