iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need info on Norwood Lumbermate 2000

Started by tomb, August 12, 2008, 11:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

Im looking into the Norwood Lumbermate 2000 band mill, and was wondering what owners opinions of this saw are.  Positive or negative comments are appreciated, as i am looking for the best mill for me!  Thank you for your help. :P

timberfaller390

thats what I was looking at before I bought my hydraulic mill. It is probably the best/most capable mill for the money.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

TexasTimbers

I owned one. I think the biggest mistake the majority of all first time sawmill buyers make, is concentrating too much on which mill to buy. Before you ever buy a mill, you should have a very detailed, clearly defined strategy about what you want to accomplish even if it is "just a hobby" purchase.

First, it rarely stays a hobby, and even if it does, it is still a serious hobby not like getting into remore control planes or something. Second, the sawmill is not the most important part of your planning. Most of your planning early on should be focused on pretty much everything *but* what sawmill you want.

The single biggest mistake I see made, and it is one that I made too, is that few newbies realize how daunting it is going to be to provide adequate storage for the wood. Even one large log takes up alot of space if it is properly stacked and stored. Imagine how much space is required if you become as prolific a sawyer as what you now envision! ;) You need to sticker and dry all your wood as it comes off the mill and it needs to be in shaded areas that will keep sun and rain off of it, but where adequate airflow can get to the pile. You need equipment to move logs and lumber.

You need many other things especially if you are buying a manual mill, and lots of other simple things like log end sealer. Often after the purchase of a new mill, the greenhorn has spent every last dime he can afford to get as much mill as he can afford, a piece of advice given freely here, me being one. But we often do not define what is "as much as you can afford". That means you set aside as much money for a mill *after* you have prepared for its arrival. *After* you have built some storage space for your wood. *After* you know you have done enough due diligence to know you have adequate support equipment to make your operation, at whatever level you plan to be hobby, semi serious (no such thing in sawmilling) or as a full time endeavor.

Man I should not even get started. But to answer your question, if you are going to buy a manual mill, Norwood is one of the finest companies as far as support and service after the sale, and their product is second to none in the manual mill world. You can't go wrong with them IMHO, and once you realize you need to step up to a hydraulic mill, the resale on Norwoods is high from my experience. I sold mine after a year and a half or two years cant remember now, but I got more than what I thought i would, and it ended up in the end costwise as if i had leased the mill for a pittance.

But please, do most of your research on everythig EXCEPT the sawmill right now. It will make your life sooooo much easier in the end.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

treenail

Have had my Norwood 2000 w/20hp Honda for seven years. Only use it part time, so it is perfect for my needs. It paid for itself many times over time, and if I had to do it again, I certainly would buy another one. Good machine.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

ely

i have had my lm2000 since 04 and it has been great. one thing about a manual mill you want to have support equip. like tractor/FEL or bobcat ahead of time. if you dont want all that you would be better off going full hyd mill.

moosehunter

TaxasTimbers,........
Great advice!! I wish I had read that 4 years ago!
I had an LM2000 for three years and think over-all it was a good investment. I am looking for a hydraulic mill now ;)

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Joel Eisner

I have had my LM2000 for about 4 years and love it.  Instead of spending the money on a mill with more features, I got a 45 hp tractor with FEL to move logs around with.  I use the LM2000 as a wood working tool and it stays at the open end of my shop.  It has provided all the timbers for our current house and all the exposed wood (siding, flooring, shakes, trim etc) for the house, addition and barn.  Now I am getting time to cut a lot of QS oak and other wood for cabinets etc.  One of the best things I did was train a local college kid on using the mill so he does all the basic sawing while I am at work and then I can focus on the  quarter sawing etc.

8)
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Joel Eisner on August 14, 2008, 03:50:14 PMOne of the best things I did was train a local college kid on using the mill so he does all the basic sawing while I am at work and then I can focus on the  quarter sawing etc.

I had this same idea but with my wife. Problem is I handed one of our other woodworking related businesses over to her and it takes all her time. I love sawing anyway. That and logging are my two favorite aspects of this endeavor.

Still, I'd like to ask you what you have the helper do. Just knock off the slabs, or do you have him do some saw-throughs on low grade stuff etc.? Do you have him do any of the stacking/stickering/moving etc.?

I had to quit the Mexicans finally. They all want $15 and some $20 and hour minimum now. They are getting it too. i don't mind paying $15 or even $50 an hour if the guy is making me at least what I am paying him and then some, but I only need one about 20 hours a week and you can't find one for just 20 they like 50 hours.

So a HS kid around here sounds good since they like just 20ish a week, but I don't know how hard that's going to be to find one. Did you know this kid or just start asking around?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

nas

I have a LM2000 and it is a great little mill.  I think you can't find a better mill for the money.  It costs less than equivelant mills and performs better.  You need the support equipment no matter what mill you get.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Joel Eisner

My helper works from 0 to 20 hrs a week.  I pile the logs on the log deck, mark how I want them cut on the end of each log with spray paint and he does basic 4/4 mill run cutting and he also cuts my poplar shingles.  His dad is a cabinet shop owner so he understands wood and its uses.  It is one of those things were if I try and put him on a regular schedule to show up at a certain time and work he will usually not be there, but if I stack the logs up and have some gas in a can, I come home and the logs are cut, wood stickered and the off cuts are stacked.  It is either him doing the work or the saw mill farry.

The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ely

joel, when you find out could you get me that sawmill fairys number. that sounds like a sweet deal :D

Ironwood

I bought Moosehunter's used NW (thanks for breaking it in AND assembling it, he used synthetic oil for me as well ;D). I have seen many a mill and this one will suit my professional partime use very well. You also can use a very nice I beam to manipulate the logs if you don't want o get into major equipment purchaes. Texas Timbers is right on the money on the other details, I have been at this wood thing for 10-15 years and just bought a mill, and glad I waited.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mcarso1

I am new at the sawmill myself but my wife and I both can tell you that from our experience the norwood 2000 is a great mill. We bought ours used with the 20hp Honda, a 4ft extension, toe board kit and a bunch of extra bands(some used and some new). It is a very well built mill and I would be sure that you would like your purchase and not regret it at all. We have a skidloader and 20ft flat bed trailer to do alot of the big stuff so hydraulics were not something for us to consider so if you have any equipment to help out go for it.

Thank You Sponsors!