iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

09 chainsaw racing gtg

Started by Cut4fun, November 02, 2008, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut4fun

Just passing this on here too.

Since Derek supplied the land and equipment and I supplied the Cants and Ribs at the last 08 RS spring gtg.

Was just wondering if and when people would want to start planning to have another racing type gtg.

Maybe this time go 3 cuts in 6" of wood in 8x8 10x10 12x12? Hotstart saws on ground hands on wood or hotstart over wood, cold start if people wanted to. Run what you brung. Classes same as last time.

I can work on ordering the poplar or aspen cants when we hammer the when and where parts out. Jan - Apr?

ladylake

How about some 14 x 14 white oak, then you can tell what those saws really have for power.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

I have no problem with cutting oak with my GAS saws (was cutting and ripping red oak Sat). Just wouldn't use a gooooood chain for them  ;D hardwood cants.
For racing you use softwood so you dont rip the cutters off your gooooood chains  :D.

We have bigger rounds on hand  that we cut cookies with that a 30" bar was buried and needed bigger bars.

Al_Smith

Quote from: ladylake on November 03, 2008, 05:33:00 AM
How about some 14 x 14 white oak, then you can tell what those saws really have for power.    Steve
Even worse would be very dry beech ,ask some of the guys that were in north east  Ohio a few years back about the petrified one that stalled em all out .

Like Kevin said you use a softer type wood like cottonwood ,poplar etc .Those race chains cut fast but because of the way they are modified even a knot in a relatively soft wood can break a cutter  which in turn will get 3 or 4 more .

My chains are not nearly as fast as most but even then I have hours in filing one and really would not want to chance screwing one up in oak or something like that .

Cut4fun

Hey Al you remember we did timed cuts in 15" shag bark hickory that one year in Ind gtg.

Only difference it made for me was to pack the sharp work chains and tune the carb different.

I paid .50 a lbf for poplar. I could only imagine the cost of oak and trying to move by hand (yeah right not happening) 10-12 cants.

If ladylake is volunteering to bring it and move it, by all means bring the 14x14 oak please to the gtg.

Al_Smith

Ha,shagbark will slow anything down but it worked for me .Tough stuff like that is about the only time a reed valve antique will keep up with a modern piston ported saw . :)

Dan_Shade

:) why not some old dried out black locust :) 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cut4fun

If it is the same. I have that too, but all of mine are stacked and saved for  fence post. 

Guess a lot of people dont have a clue about chainsaw racing and wood types used.
Show up and learn  ;D.

Dan_Shade

nah, we just want to see it get "interesting"  ;D

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Radar67

Never seen a chainsaw race for real, so here's my question...what happens to all the rounds you guys produce?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Cut4fun

Called cookies.
At a gtg they get burned.
At a real race kids get them and have the competitors sign them for souvenirs of the lumberjacks racing.

Radar67, You appear to be a SP in the AF in your avatar pic. Y or N? Have you guarded the radar site in Turkey for missile lunches called (The Duck) yet on a remote tour.

Radar67

No, not an SP. I am a computer security analyst in the army. I was stationed at an AF base for 2 years on a security mission when all this stuff started. I was privledged to be able to guard the Thunderbirds during an airshow there. Closest I've been to Turkey is guarding the Fulda Gap as an infantryman during the cold war in Germany, back in the late 80s.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ladylake

I guess I'm just to old, when I go to a tractor pull I go to the out of the field ones that are close to stock, not some 2000HP modified where the most money wins.  14 x14 white oak would be out if the field over here.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Ha,most of us saw nuts have amassed a lot of "cookies " from testing saws . I have a few myself which by the way are red oak .I figure if a saw can cut dry red oak and hold it's power it can cut anything .

They aren't a total waste as they burn real well in the stove plus you don't have to split them  but you do make a lot of chips for the amount of wood you  cut . :D

However my version of a race chain gets ran in pine which does not go in the stove but does get used for camp fires .Keeps the mosquitos away ,ya know .

Cut4fun

The landowner of primary location has a scheduling conflict with April 18th right now.

Primary location is where the big woods is stored.

Change to April 25

April 25 sounds good and nobody pm'ed stating any trouble with the date so far.
Things could change for any of us though, through work or health. Hopefully the 25th is good to go.

Cut4fun

The primary location will be Derek's (TwinTurboRam) place depending on weather or his plans, same as last year. The back up location will be Cut4Funs or WJ's place. PM me for the address. It won't be posted in the forum.

This time we will go 3 cuts in 8x8 or 10x10 wood. Hotstart, saws on ground, hands on wood, or hotstart over wood. Run what you brung. Classes same as last time.

8x8 Wood
Bumble Bees 0-40 (Top Handle saws only)
0-40 Rear Handle
0-51
0-65

10x10 Wood
0-81
0-100
100+
Piped saws
Vintage class (1979 and earlier saws)

Make your own 3/8 050 60 DL chain for a chain race on a stock saw for 2 cuts.

So get them saws ready. All are welcome to come and join in. Food supplied will be ribs and brats. Any drinks or chips etc will be up to you. Thanks and hope to see you in the spring.

..............................April 25...............

Thank You Sponsors!