iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A second year?

Started by inspectorwoody, February 02, 2005, 04:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Was wondering how many would be interested in attending and or hosting an inspection course. If you remember Norm and Patty hosted it last year and I taught.

Let me know what you guys think...ideas etc.

Gadget

Kirk_Allen

What all is involved in hosting it and how many days.  I would be inerested.

thanks

Tom_Averwater

He who dies with the most toys wins .

inspectorwoody

As far as hosting goes all I guess I feel we would need is a whole bunch of lumber....green or dry as it doesn't really matter. Also a place where a fella can grab a bite to eat!

Last year was just a one day and kinda of experimental....This time I am sure one day would work too. I feel it went well. I guess it depends on others and what they would prefer...if some would stick around for a second day great or even just to shoot the breeze a bit more etc. I'm pretty open to anything. People took time to teach me so I want to make sure everyone understands etc. and if that means two days so be it.

I would bring all the hand outs etc. Primarly go over the rule book etc. and grade out some lumber....Take about remanufacture etc. and any other topics that get brought up.

Take some time and think about it...I think with the people we have here at the forum we could pull something pretty neat together.

Any other questions....comments...ideas please feel free to ask. Would enjoy doing this again and meeting some more FF folks.

Thanks

Gadget

Kirk_Allen

Sounds like fun, however can folks really learn that much in a single day or even two days?

I had thought about taking the class over at Indy in March.  I would have liked to gone up to MI since the class is cheaper but after the expense of traveling that far its a wash with Indy. 

sawwood

I can say yes we learned a lot that day with Inspector. I think you
would need to learn a lot more to know what Inspector knows but
i learned enought to know what F/S and Comm are. I would make
it to the one day with Inspector and stay two days if needed.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Kirk_Allen

What costs are involved in having you come out and do this.  I am interested and would like to have a couple days of brain picking but thats just me.  Im a little slow ;D

The closest hotels are 12 miles away but there are quite a few great local restaurants. 

We have plenty of room for those that want to camp or bring an RV. 

What time frame were you looking at?

Jeff

concider pigroast tme?  day before? after?  lots of lumber at billsbys  propaply work sometihng?  just a drg induced idea eh? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

Kirk, one day won't make you a guru at grading lumber but it will give you a lot of basics, if nothing else it will make communications better if you have a question later on.

Woody, if it's where I can I wouldn't mind attending, been a long time since I been through the class, little refresher wouldn't hurt nothin.

Jeff, that must be some gooooood stuff they giv ya.

Wife says"Shutup Bill" so I'll be quite now.
Bill

Roxie

Wow...it's good to see ya Jeff!!   ;D
Guess things went smoother this time!  That's great!
Say when

Furby

I LIKE Jeff's idea!
Think ya could swing that?

Jeff, would Billsbys have a problem with a bunch of people there?

inspectorwoody

Jeff's idea is nice too...

We could run one sometime this coming spring and we could do it up there again in August...

Kirk

Just give me a place to sleep and get a good ol' meal and I'm happy. No cost involved for anybody...I just get a kick out of meeting new folks and passing around the knowledge. Couple of days is fine...

Your won't be a pro in a couple days time but I hope and it is my goal to clearly get enough information to you that you will be able to pick up the rule book, understand it and market some grade lumber or at least be able to defend yourself with a customer etc. It gets very addicting!

If its warm enough when we do it Kirk...give me enough room to park the ol' chevy and I can sleep in that!  :D Did that up in Hayward at the Lumberjack Championships!  ;D

Gadget

Patty

Last year Inspector gave an excellent class, and it was very interesting. Then in the afternoon Electric Al gave us some tips on sawing techniques. Overall it was great to meet other forum members and learn a few things to boot.  I highly recommend having the program again.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Buzz-sawyer

Woody
I know Kirk well enough to tell ya ya wont be sleeping in the car. :o :D........Hell see to it your treated real well!
Buzz
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

OK Woody, shoot me some dates and lets see what we can set up.  Room and Board is no problem.  Hope you like Venison ;D

ElectricAl

Patty and Norm were great hosts. ;)

I have a suggestion to make this year even better for everyone.  Leave the little kids at home.  Patty missed out on part of the Sawing Q&A because she ended up baby sitting someone else's kid out with the horse.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Patty

Thanks Al  ;)    He is right you know, kids get bored really fast at things like this, so someone has to entertain them. Another thing we ran into was spouses who don't saw, and don't care about grading wood. A two hour lecture on wood grading is real boring if you don't want to be there.

Now if there is a spouse or a teenager around who doesn't mind doing the entertaining then all is well.  That spouse can take the kids away from the saws and find something for them to do. I was really interested in what Dustin and Al had to say and had wanted to watch the demos, but was not able to do so. As a host I felt it was my job to entertain the kids and wives who did not want to be there, and would rather be shopping or something.

I don't mean to offend anyone, really. But please be considerate to your kids, your wife, and to the hosts when you are deciding whether or not to  bring guests.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

inspectorwoody

I would agree to that also....

It is also a huge distraction to those doing the demos etc. because your trying to relay useful information and at the same time you are busy trying to make sure you have everyones attention...

We all know that no matter how interested you are in something when a young child is out romping around...you tend to turn the head to get a good chuckle  ;)

Also Norm and Patty were excellant hosts. Al did a very nice job also. Like I said earlier last year was a first time thing and we crammed a lot of good info in a short time so this year it might be good to have a good couple of days depending on others schedules etc.

Kirk

Let me do some checking and I will get them dates to ya! Don't reckon I've ever tried venison....but I'm always up to new things...tried some sushi and frog once!

Gadget

Buzz-sawyer

Woody/Kirk count me in ....I could take a couple a days to hang out :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WV_hillbilly

I would like to attend also . I hope you guys figure something out soon  so I can put it on the schedule.  That way if something else pops up I 'm all  ready booked for those days . ;)
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

I would suggest a couple of hosting location options because right now I know that there is no way I could do it between now and middle of April.  My schedule is full with my full time business.

inspectorwoody

Sorry for the delay in response...

May - June Kirk?

Gadget

PS You let me know what will work best for you and we'll work with that.

Thank You Sponsors!