iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl oil seal removal

Started by Roundhead, October 30, 2013, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundhead

I have been searching around for an alternative tool to remove oil seals but nothing is showing up. I know the seals can be removed without the special tool but I don't really want to mess anything up. Do you all use the special tool or can this be done being extremely cautious with  a small flat screwdriver or pick?

AdkStihl

More than 1 way to skin a cat. I use a drywall screw most of the time. A modified screwdriver works well too.
J.Miller Photography

nmurph

Here's what I use...026 seals are a bit of a challenge, but I can get them out with this-

Don't cheap out on the screwdriver. The first one (pictured on the left) was a cheap-o and the hook broke off. I had to use a magnet to fish the piece out of the bearing. I made my second one with a Snap-On and I have removed hundreds of seals with it. I ground it to the same size and it works well. I don't know what happened to the small one in the pic, but I have not needed it.

I have also seen pics of pullers made from hawk-billed knives.

Roundhead

Quote from: nmurph on October 30, 2013, 12:59:39 PM
Here's what I use...026 seals are a bit of a challenge, but I can get them out with this-

Don't cheap out on the screwdriver. The first one (pictured on the left) was a cheap-o and the hook broke off. I had to use a magnet to fish the piece out of the bearing. I made my second one with a Snap-On and I have removed hundreds of seals with it. I ground it to the same size and it works well. I don't know what happened to the small one in the pic, but I have not needed it.

I have also seen pics of pullers made from hawk-billed knives.
thanks. I guess you just break through the rubber part and hook onto the metal to remove it. seems pretty simple. and I guess the danger is damaging the metal surface. care to elaborate on the procedure? I'm a little slow

nmurph

You've got it. If you make a hook like I did, make sure you radius all of the edges so you don't scratch the crank.

I jamb it straight down against the crank and wiggle it in. Then twist it a little and pry up. Then move around about 1/3 of the way and repeat. Then repeat if necessary. Most seals will pop out the first time you pry.

MidWestTree

The do it yourself hook tool works well. As an alternative I find that drilling a small hole in the outer metal rim of the seal and starting a screw down into it until it gets a good bite allows you to pull it that way by using your tool of choice to pry up on the screw and pop the seal up and out.

smmyb123

Use whatever small prying tool works for you. Like others have previously stated, just dont scratch the crank. I have found that tapping the seal inward with a socket and hammer breaks the bond and makes it much easier to pry out.

joe_indi

Use any suitable tool to tap a hole in the mettalic portion of the seal and twist the tool in all directions to bend the outer portion of the seal inwards. Repeated thrice more to form a cross will loosen the seal's outer from its seat and it will be asily removable

Thank You Sponsors!