iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2040 -- Tech Help Please

Started by inspectorwoody, February 08, 2013, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Put a new bar and chain on the 2040 tonight.

Chain, Bar and Sprocket all from Oregon and they all go together. Double checked all that on Oregon's site as I was investigating the following problem.

--First thing I noticed, the recoil wanted to catch and not rewind properly but than it would. Pulled it off and it works fine off the saw.

--Started the saw the first time and the chain made a horrible racket in rotation.

--Tried rotating by hand. Rotates free but rough, slacks off and than snugs right up on bar.

--Tried running the saw again. Chain just locked up. Saw would rev but chain wouldn't turn.

--Adjusted tension, checked things again and tried again. Chain rotated and than derailed.

--Pulled clutch off and left sprocket on.

--Leaving the clutch off, I put it all back together. Rotating by hand is rough again and does the slack off bar, tight on bar thing.

--There seems to be a fair amount of side to side play on the crank.

--Sprocket shows wear but not enough to cause problems in my opinion. I've saw worse.

I'm stumped and frustrated. ::) Seems like it should be something simple.  ???

Thought it might have been the clutch but the springs and everything are tight and my way of thinking is by taking that off, it eliminates that as the problem.

I feel like I'm totally missing the problem, like it's ready to slap me in the face.  :D

Thanks

JohnG28

If you pull the bar off the saw will the chain go around it by hand? Sounds almost like a bar rail might be too narrow in a spot and causing it to bind. Also are you sure the chain is the right gauge? Maybe you have an .058 chain and .050 bar?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Slab Slicer

I'm with John on this one. Make sure the bar, chain, and drive spocket are a matched set. I ran into the same problem with a Stihl just the other week.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

inspectorwoody

Thanks for the replies.

Think I figured it out.

Using Oregon's fit up guide and putting in the bar and chain numbers, it shows only a 7 pin sprocket.

The sprocket that I have is just a 6 pin.

Last night when I checked everything on Oregon's site, it did show a 6 pin being listed but this morning when I specifically use only the .325 and .050, it only shows the 7.

I knew it was simple.  :D Sometimes it's better to walk away and come back when a guy's head is clear.

Thank You Sponsors!