iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nor 'easter on the way, How are you preparing for it?

Started by rick f, January 26, 2015, 05:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Raider Bill's forecast is about the same for me. ;)  We are wishing for storms right now.  Nothing since Christmas Eve  :(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

snowstorm

temp is 5 wind is up there 25+ not a snow flake yet. watching the radar its just off shore coming in off the north atlantic . it will not be long

=

Jamie_C

Light flurries started here about half an hour ago, decided to take the day off of work as the highway we travel on to our current harvest block is a notorious killer in bad weather. Just looked out the window again and the snow has really picked up and the wind is swirling.

Gary_C

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 26, 2015, 10:32:41 AM
7 pounds of NYS 5X and 7X chedder cheese thanks to Pete from bear Swamp and something to wash it down with. I'm ready bring the noreaster on!!

Bill, I saw the pictures before I read this and I thought you were writing about a drug bust.  :D

What are you going to do with the eggs?  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

snowstorm

its here snow blowing side ways. i did sand . let it sit for a while now. long range forecast says more fri sat and sun mon

brendonv

Not bad here. Roads are clear, some
Drifts but far from 18-30". More like 6-8". 
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

rick f

8 degrees here, 25 mph winds with gusts to 35 right now. started snowing around 3:30 

Tractor is by the barn and ready to go, I'm guessing wed morning, unless I get a call for help from one of the plow guys. Drifting will be a huge problem with the high winds.
Stay safe.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

HiTech

If we get the storm here it will be just another winter day. Use to it.

Peter Drouin

No biggie, use to it in NH :D :D :D
But if you listen to the news you would think the world is coming to an end. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sprucebunny

I agree, Peter.
The forecast has gone from 18" to 8". Ho-hum.

My biggest problem now is 'what the heck is going on in my neighborhod ??? '
Cops wouldn't let me come home the normal road, had to go way ( 5-6 miles) around until I was about 500 feet from where I started to turn up my road. Cop truck in the driveway at 1 AM. Need to know if I won't be able to get back again if I leave  so I can turn the furnace on.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

FarmingSawyer

Snowing hard and fast here. Very high winds. Can't see the trees on the other side of a 1/2 acre clearing. Was going to mill lumber for an order if things got too boring or I lost power, but the huge barn has so many holes in it, the swirling wind has covered everything inside and left drifts around the mill......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Dave Shepard

8°, 6" and breezy. Just a flurry at the moment. Travel ban on since 12:00 AM. I drove the 1/4 mile to the farm anyway. :D Gotta plow out for the milk truck. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pine

OK I am not from the east coast and it seem that I do not understand many, many things that seem acceptable back there.
Last night in the run-up to this storm there were all the dire warnings on the news and weather channel.  They were reporting that if you were found out after a set time (I think it was 2300) that you were subject to a ticket and/or arrest.  That you could not be out of your house.  This was reported on two different stations so I don't think I misunderstood it.

That basically amounts to martial law if they can arrest you if you are found out of your house.
That strikes me as a bit extreme and questionable at best. 

In most weather extremes,  the authorities recommend that you not go out and that there will be no rescue capability if you get stranded for days/hours etc.; but defacto martial law where they can arrest you if you go out seems a bit odd.
Are there some laws that have proven to be constitutional back in you guy's neck of the woods that allow that?

Dave Shepard

They had a travel ban on last night but it's been lifted. I heard on the radio that in NY it was a misdemeanor and could carry up to a $300 fine. I don't know about the arrest part.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bill m

How did I prepare? I made my lunch, loaded up my saws and went to work like any other day. I did bring an extra pair of gloves in case my first pair got wet.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

snowstorm

some of the reasons for a travel ban. look at what they  use to plow with a trash truck with a little 10' plow in ny with 6000 miles to take care of. its pretty hard to plow with cars parked everywhere. in mass they run wheeler dump trucks with no wing. line em up 4 or 5 wide and go at it. any day time storm with traffic the snow will pack. so it costs more to get rid of it. in time fuel and salt. salt is expensive. so if buy keeping traffic down a city may save 50 or more ton of salt in a storm this size. most places were closed here today and it helped. i still saw a bunch of nim rod kids driving way to fast looking for a beer store that was open

snowstorm

did we get the 2ft they called for? its close with a lot of wind the snow is really moving. i had a lot of places that drifted into the road 4 to 5 ' deep

Maine logger88

Yeah it's kinda hard to tell how much we have with all the drifting all I know is it's gonna be fun Thursday braking in woods roads been spoiled with the last few winters. Tomorrow I will spend most of my day in a 1 ton pushing snow up to ironwood doing cleanup I guess. Hope to make it to Bangor to get parts for my JD in the afternoon
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Dave Shepard

I don't think we got more than 6" or 7". It's getting windy and starting to drift now, but I don't think there is enough snow to cause too much trouble. I think it made it up to 9°, but is back to 8° now. :D

Ed_K

We plowed 6" with the 4'-5' drifts.I've been running chains on all 4 sides of the 550 I use to plow for the town,we have a layer of ice on the dirt rds thats the hardest I've ever seen. We run a wheeler,a 4900 intro 4x6 with all season sander bodys and the 550 ford w a flop on the back sander. Plow 12 hrs so it was a ho hum storm.
Ed K

snowstorm

i left my 550 in the garage a used the ih. big job you need big tools. ed what do they have for sander bodies? i have a mg on the 550 and a bigger mg on the ih. they dump sideways. i like em they work good

Ed_K

Ed K

Oliver05262

The storm was a bust around "here", but I feel for you folks over on the coast. Snow didn't start until about daylight, and blew every which way; mostly from the NorthEast. We wound up with three, maybe four, inches by the time it let up in late afternoon..............
  Oh, well...better to be ready than not. Hope all of you came through alright. Stay safe. Stay warm.

Sprucebunny, did you ever find out what was going on in your neighborhood?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Woodhauler

I would say we are up to 25-28 inches here!!! Will get a good measure out back of my garage out of the wind!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

HiTech

The only thing we got was a dang cold north wind! Very strong at times.

Thank You Sponsors!