iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is picco clutch drum used for.

Started by alsayyed, January 17, 2007, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I have ordered two 3/8 x 050 bars and two 3/8 x 050 chain. But with these bars and chains they send me this  clutch drum Stihl part number 1122/06 Picco Z7 A. could anybody tell me what is that for and when I am going to use this . I have thought this should go with small gauge chain like 050 but I need bigger sprocket to go with this. I need more explanation.
Thank you fellows.

sawguy21

What is the model number of the saw you ordered the bars and chain for? The picco chain is generally used on the smaller saws, 40cc or less.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

alsayyed

I have the MS 650 and MS 660 and I am using these chain and bars for ripping which is working very good. the bars are 20 inch and the other one is 25 inch.

sawguy21

I believe someone sent the wrong sprocket, I have never seen picco used on such a saw. It would never withstand the power.

Tony_T

Logosol sells 3/8 0.50 picco chain ground to 5 degrees for milling.  I have used a lot of it in hardwoods and a 066 stihl pulling up to 25 in. bar with no breakage issues.  I've not worn out the sprocket(s) that were shipped with my saw/mill so I don't know if the picco chain requires a different sprocket.  The current sprocket is of the non-replaceable drive type (e.g. you replace the whole housing not just the drive portion of the sprocket).

If normal 3/8 .050 sprockets will work I'll purchase those when the time comes so that I can just replace the wear portion of the sprocket and have the option of changing the gearing (# of drive teeth) when doing so.

alsayyed

Dear Tony let me clarify something here Logosol sent me this free of charge, but not been used to. I have used all sort of chains and bars on the sprocket which is comes on the machine, since I have purchased my machine I have never ever changed the sprocket or any parts and still running very well. The only part I have changed is the piston because when I mixed 1:50 but know I have reduced the ratio to 1:45 and still running beautiful. Let me tell ya I enjoyed milling with 3/8 by 050 very nice even I am running the chain through wet and dry wood from different spieces.
I think from my humble experience that 3/8 x 050 is very good for milling, beside I am using the Logosol bars, even they gave me  free filling sets with handle. I have just bought jointer and  planer from the Logosol this is the latest product, the planer blades roughly  410 mm and the jointer is 11 inch I can extended the jointer up to  410 mm which is equivalent to 16 inch.
Next time I will post pics.

Bill

Alsayyed

I agree with sawguy21 - I have a Stihl 019T ( one of their smallest I use for trimming/limbing  ) and it uses picco as I recall. I also don't recall Stihl's catalogs listing picco for anything but their small saws.

If its not something brand new - I'd think its for something smaller than a 650 or 660.

Just my $ .02

Good Luck . . .

Tony_T

No be assured the picco chain works with a 066 .  There is another logosol member, Raphael just bit south of me that can asure of this.  Match up your new blades, chains and sprocket to your saw then adjust your mill. 

You will find that it cuts faster ( smaller kerf) but may have differnet issues concerning how fast you need to re-sharpen.

Use a smaller file to work (sharpen) the chain, 3/16 inch. You will find it cuts faster and wastes less wood because of the smaller kerf.  Avoid bars > 25 inches as they may over strees the picco chain. Good luck!!!

Tony_T

LedlieLogs

Tony T there was something about this on the logosol owners fourm. I think it had to with the pico being one piece. Should be stronger. I run the pico on my 660 all the time also on my 385. Use the 660 with the lewis winch most of the time now. Not saying that it is right, just that it works. Above the 25" bar breakage will happen. Good luck
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

SawTroll

Quote from: Bill on January 17, 2007, 11:37:28 PM
Alsayyed

I agree with sawguy21 - I have a Stihl 019T ( one of their smallest I use for trimming/limbing  ) and it uses picco as I recall. I also don't recall Stihl's catalogs listing picco for anything but their small saws.

If its not something brand new - I'd think its for something smaller than a 650 or 660.

Just my $ .02

Good Luck . . .

Stihl has sold a Logosol version of the 066/660, with spesial bars and sprockets (spur only), and PMX chain here, for a long time.

I believe they sell more of this version (to millers and log-house builders), than of the standard version.
Information collector.

sawguy21

I looked it up in Stihl's catalogue yesterday. They do supply  bars for Logosol owners and 63 ripping chain. Learn something new here everyday.

Tony_T

The PMX chain is the same as PM chain ecept the cutters are ground to 5 degrees.  I've run these chains right down until the cutters were about filed off; when I loose a cutter I trash the chain.  As I said there have not been any breakage issues running it on an 066 with up to 25 in. bar.  Thinner kerf than a regular 3/8 and gives a very smooth surface on ripped boards.

Back to the original question, do you really need a special sprocket with 3/8 picco or can you run it on a regular 3/8 sprocket?

Raphael

As I understand it either will drive either 3/8 pitch chain, the only concern is popping your E clip on the stock sprocket under the strain of milling.  Those sprockets from Logosol are pretty amazing as far as durability, I pulled my original sprocket from the 066 and put it on my new MS660 when the 066 went into the shop and it's still going strong.  The sprocket I've got on the 066 now is a different part number from the Stihl sprocket Logosol carries but the same tooth count and one piece design.  It was about half the price, so we'll have to see how well it holds up.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Bill

As I should have said -

I'm learning new stuff here all the time --

Alsayyed  - listen to the guys that are doing it   :-X

alsayyed

off course I am listening. that is why I like this forum, becuase I have learned a lot about chain saw and milling using chain saw and not to forget to mention that most of the people in the forum are very helpful. all I could say thank you.

sawguy21

Quote from: Tony_T on January 19, 2007, 05:47:09 PM

Back to the original question, do you really need a special sprocket with 3/8 picco or can you run it on a regular 3/8 sprocket?
The picco chain will not work well on a regular sprocket. It will ride too high.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 20, 2007, 12:07:49 AM
Quote from: Tony_T on January 19, 2007, 05:47:09 PM

The picco chain will not work well on a regular sprocket. It will ride too high.

I believe you....... :) ;D
Information collector.

billstuewe

I have been using a Logosol Chainsawmill powered with a Stihl 066 since November of 2001 and have sawn about 10000bf, most of it with Stihl 63PMX Picco chain and the drum sprocket supplied by Logosol—which I believe is the one you have.  If you will go to their website there is a wealth of information on this saw set up and its maintence.  Use this URL and have fun milling!!:

http://www.logosol.com/media/_pdf/UK/the_handbook_for_your_cutting_equipment_2006-02-17_72dpi.pdf

I use the picco chain on my 16" and 25" bars, nothing longer.  Stihl will not recommend it for this big of a saw but Logosol has tested it extensively and it works superbly.  The ripping version of it is available only in Europe and Logosol imports it for their mill owners here.  I have bought the regular 63PM chain and use it as is—works but not as smooth a cut—then, when I grind, I cut the angle back about 5 deg each time I grind and eventually end up at the recommended 10 deg for ripping.
I have longer bars and use standard .063 ripping chain on them.  I use a rim sprocket with that chain and in theory that 7 tooth rim sprocket should work on the picco chain but it "hammers" the backs of the drivers until they bind in the bar slot.  Use the picco 7 spur sprocket with the picco chain.
Logosol recommends this for milling:  Buy a new sprocket, bar, and 4 chains.  Alternate the chains evenly as you use them.  When the 4 chains are worn out—throw all away and start over with new sprocket, bar and 4 chains.  Makes sense to me but I save the old for trees I think have metal in them.
Bill
Bill's Woodshop

SawTroll

Quote from: billstuewe on February 01, 2007, 03:34:30 PM
....   Stihl will not recommend it for this big of a saw but Logosol has tested it extensively and it works superbly. ...

As I have said a few times, Stihl offer/sell them that way here...... :) :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!