iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw fright

Started by Tom, May 04, 2001, 07:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This isn't meant to be a "thread", I just had to tell somebody.

This past week I sawed for some people who claim to be loggers.  Cutting limbs from logs and cutting logs to length they were using the tip and first 1/4 of a 20" blade on a dept. store Poulan.  Standing upright the blade was within inches of their thigh and was constantly leaping up toward their face, never coming close, and scaring me to death.

I recommended that they use the middle of the bar or even use the bucking teeth but it's difficult to get an "expert" to listen.

They had two old Homelites with bows and I even suggested that they use them thinking that the bucking ear would be safer than the tip of a bar.
Didn't have much luck.

They were climbing on the pile of logs and sawing which put them in a precarious spot anyway and I just knew I was going to have to use a tourniquet or heavy pressure to stop the bleeding.  Lord, the things that were going through my mind.

Luckily they finished, I finished and left.

I hope they live to hire me again one day even though I don't know if I can take the strain.

Jeff

We had a logger a few years back while climbing around on a brush pile, broke through, and shishcabobbed his you know what.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

L. Wakefield

just ta letcha know..I had a patient a week or 2 ago who had suffered a minor chainsaw mishap- must have been on his leg cuz I told him about the forum and the recommendation about chaps. He took it to heart and asked me where to get them. I must admit I had to drop the ball at that point, but I suggested he ask the chainsaw sales and service guys. That's where I got my hardhats and hearing protection.

So you're getting exposure in the emergency room. I hope I remembered to give him the webpage addy. Keep up the good work. We all benefit. The dox certainly won't starve if they get a little less trauma business. We like to sit back and remark on it being a slow day for once. The drunk drivers keep us going.. :( :(
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Jeff, my bunny looks so innocent and cuddly- it needs to be able to leap up and show fangs at times. You know how it is when I get wired.. :D :D
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I can arrange a demented bunny...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Ms. L.

Accept my most humble admiration for anything you do in an emergency room.  It's got to be tough at admissions as well as in treatment.  I hope that if I need emergency services I get someone with a sense of humor. ;)

L. Wakefield

Humor can indeed lighten a grim situation- but I also find I must be very careful not to be seeming to make light of patients' conditions. I find it best to let them set the tone first. Some people are remarkably tough and resourceful at coping. I myself hope I would/will be that type of person. (Of course, I also pictured myself having the 'perfect birth, and Lamaze working, too! Who knew..) ::)

(Jeff, show me  the bunny you mentioned!!) :D :D :D       LW

Thank You Sponsors!