iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detector

Started by campy, March 15, 2010, 11:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

I left my metal detector out in the rain and ruined it.
It never performed well anyways.

Where would I find a detector suitable for what we do?
I read a post where many mentioned the log Wizard detector.

Is there a website that sells them?
Google was not giving a clear answer.

Thanks

Tom

For my money, I would stick with, what is called, a hobby detector.  Manufacturers like White, Garret, Fisher, and companies like that are well known.  Kellyco is one of the internet retailers, but you can usually find a dealer or two in your hometown.  Most of the well known detectors in the 250-600 dollar ranges will work just fine and sticking with the hobby detectors give you the tools to coin shoot or relic hunt in your spare time too.  Mine is a Garret Master Hunter 7 that I bought many years ago.  My favorite coil is a 9" and it normally detects quite well to a 4-6 inch depth and quite frequently 8" or more.  Orientation of the target has a lot to do with it.

nas

Bought my log wizard at Lee Valley.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Cedarman

I have a Tesoro.  Did the same.  Left it in the rain and the mice nibbled the wire. Set out several months until my brother stumbled across it. I thought someone had five finger discounted it. Sent it back to Tesoro and asked what it would cost to fix.  They sent it back all fixed and said no charge.  I would have been happy to pay since it was my fault.  I told them what happened.
I love this detector.  Have found lots of coins, relics, tools, nuts, bolts and lots of nails in logs.  There are some great companies out there.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bandmiller2

Campy,I have a couple of fancy detectors that seldome get used around the mill, I have a cheapy found at the flea market I always use, simple to operate one switch and a short shaft its no longer than 2 1/2'.It was designed for a wood shop,sometimes simple is better.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

campy

Thanks all for the help.
I researched all of your posts and ended up spending $80 at Lee Valley for the Log Wizard.
Once again your collective knowledge and experiance have proven to be so valuable to me and I am grateful for all of you taking the time to help out.

Magicman

Your best metal detector is your eyes.  Look at the log before beginning to saw.  Then look for discolored wood as you saw.

The second best metal detector is your sawblade..... >:( :'( ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I got a Fisher Aquanaut.  Its waterproof and good for 250' deep, so a little rain ain't gonna hurt it.  I bought it used on Ebay. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

So, Ron, are you taking up getting those submerged logs and checking for metal in them first so you don't waste time fishing bad logs from the bottom? :D :D

Kelvin

Hey there,
I've left a couple of detectors out in the rain and thought i ruined them.  Maybe 3 different lumber wizards.  Turn out they dry out and start working again, but takes quite awhile.  You may wait and see on yours, but if you do get the lumber wizard, you can remember that they may act ruined, but will dry out and work again.
KP

DanG

Well, Campy has made his move but others will be reading this thread.  I'll just say, I was very impressed with Kellyco when I bought my detector from them.  When I called to order it, I didn't really know what I wanted.  The lady that answered the phone asked me what I'd be using it for.  When I told her she said, "Hold on.  I'll get one of the log people for you."   That guy guided me to the Fisher 1225x and I've been real pleased with it.  It has a really loud speaker, so you can hear it with machinery running around you.

BTW, if any battery powered equipment accidentally gets wet, take the battery out ASAP.  That little DC current flow will cause corrosion, and that's what ruins them.  The water itself won't damage most electronic components.  Open up the case and use a blow dryer to dry it out and you can save most things.  Once it is dry, use an old toothbrush to remove any corrosion that has occurred.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

timberfaller390

I have a tesoro that has done very well for relic hunting but not so good for nails in logs. I have ran it across numerous logs with the tell tale blue stain and never got a peep out of the detector but the saw blade sure found them.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Cedarman

timberfaller, you may have your Tesoro in discriminate mode in which case you will not hear it over iron.  Put it in all metal mode or in non discriminate mode and try it.  Do some testing on nails etc and see how it  does.

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on March 17, 2010, 02:13:19 PM
BTW, if any battery powered equipment accidentally gets wet, take the battery out ASAP.  That little DC current flow will cause corrosion, and that's what ruins them.  The water itself won't damage most electronic components.  Open up the case and use a blow dryer to dry it out and you can save most things.  Once it is dry, use an old toothbrush to remove any corrosion that has occurred. 

Spoken like an old "telephone man"....... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim H

Quote from: DanG on March 17, 2010, 02:13:19 PM
Well, Campy has made his move but others will be reading this thread.  I'll just say, I was very impressed with Kellyco when I bought my detector from them.  When I called to order it, I didn't really know what I wanted.  The lady that answered the phone asked me what I'd be using it for.  When I told her she said, "Hold on.  I'll get one of the log people for you."   That guy guided me to the Fisher 1225x and I've been real pleased with it.  It has a really loud speaker, so you can hear it with machinery running around you.

I've got a 1225x as well. A large wood reclaiming company near me uses this model daily. I use it when I have to resaw timbers, I've found handfulls of nails on some jobs. If I hit one it's because I got lazy scanning the piece ::)
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Tom

In defense of any detector.  I was told that the density of wet wood and iron nails is so close sometimes that the detector might miss the nail.  I've seen nails sticking out of the side of the log that the detector didn't detect.  The reason I saw it, though, is because I was looking where the detector was pointed.  Whatever works, I guess.

So, just because you miss a nail now and again, don't blame it all on the detector.   A lot depends on density, orientation of the nail, depth in the log, etc.

I've also had a situation when everything was working just right and I guess I had a "mile" of depth from my detector.  Come to find out that the metal was in the ground and I was shooting all the way through the log.  It makes you feel real stupid.  So, make sure that you are in a cleaned place  and, better, off the ground.   Sweep the area with the detector before you put the logs there. :)

Magicman

Remember also that time spent analyzing logs is time taken away from sawing.  I inspect known "yard" trees, but the others just get sawed.

My feeling is that it is to the customer's best interest to identify metal.  I let them do the searching.  If I do the searching, then the blame is shifted to me.  I charge $20 for hit metal...period.  It's his logs, his metal, and his responsibility to find it.

That is covered in the saw contract  smiley_contract  that is signed and reviewed before the job begins.

I don't mean to imply that I am "hard nosed" or ugly with the customer.  I've let some instances go without charging.....but I remind the customer of that fact.  I've never had a problem or complaint from a customer concerning junk metal.

Ivey

Magicman I do the same thing, It's the customer's log, their medal, and responsibility.

My first detector is a Bounty Hunter, works good at about $250 new. Last week I was at an auction and picked up a Whites. It is like new, a $500. detector  got it for $120.  A deal I think..
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Thank You Sponsors!