iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to deal with snakes

Started by WH_Conley, February 29, 2008, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

WDH, that red bellied water snake looks just like a moccasin when you almost step on them.  :)  We've really got them around here and our variety looks a bit different. Sometimes the only way to tell the difference is to slap at them with a stick or something. They will usually sull up and try to tuck their head, but at the same time their head will fan out like a spreading adder. If it's a moccasin, they're agressive. According to the range map, Tom doesn't have any. You would think that Okefenokee would be running over with them.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WDH

They are a dead ringer for a moccasin, just like you say.  If it wasn't for that red belly, that one would have crossed the Rives Styx by now :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Quote from: woodbowl on May 11, 2008, 10:46:46 PM
According to the range map, Tom doesn't have any. You would think that Okefenokee would be running over with them.

When I lived in Woodbine, GA and fished in the Big Satilla River, which drains some of the northern Okefenokee Swamp, I sure killed more moccasins then a care to talk about.  One day I killed more snakes than I caught fish.   Other time, I killed a BIG pair that was mating in my back yard - A BIG PAIR.

My wife was working for security at Kingsbay submarine base when they got a call about a snake stuck in the fence.  It was a moccasin that was so big in diameter that it got stuck in the fence when it tried to enter the day care center.  The cop was so scared; it took him 7 shots to hit it. :o :o :o  They changed the chain link fence out after this and put in the smaller holed chain link.

Bruce

WDH

I found this gentleman on a Texas road.  Someone's tire had previously come along and dispatched him to the happy hunting grounds.......

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

I forgot the close up for the non squamish types.

ADAMINMO

Looks like supper time in Texas!!!! Tastes like chicken I hear. Is that true?

Fla._Deadheader

Killed a Coral Snake, yesterday, while sawing.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Texas Ranger

Quote from: ADAMINMO on May 20, 2008, 05:10:50 PM
Looks like supper time in Texas!!!! Tastes like chicken I hear. Is that true?

Kinda, with enough beer.

WDH

Actually, the meat is white, and a little tough.  It doesn't taste too bad fried, but the musky smell that is so hair raising when you smell it in the woods, knowing that the bugger is somewhere near, does not go completely away after cooking.  Some are more musky (muskier :)) than others.  It sure does detract from the dining experience when the musk is strong. 

Texas Ranger

semologger

One good 12 gauge buck shot is all i can say i would be shoting at that pile of snakes. Like Indiana jones said. I hate snakes. I ran over a copperhead yesterday , forwards and backwards.  bike_rider bike_rider

Dave Shepard

Quote from: semologger on May 22, 2008, 11:59:54 PM
I ran over a copperhead yesterday , forwards and backwardsbike_rider bike_rider

:D :D :D :D :D

TR, I'd say that pile of snakes would make for awful efficient scattergunning. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WildDog

That pit of snakes reminds me of an old Western movie, where I think Clint Eastwood hid a saddle bag of loot in a pit of Rattlers can't recall the name could of been the "The Good The Bad and The Ugly".

We live on the creek and Venomous snakes are common around our farm, they're starting to hibbernate now. My next door neighbour was bitten on the foot 3mths back by a Rough Scaled Snake, it was dark and flooding he went out to move the generator in bare feet and was hit on a vein. The Neurotoxic venom knocked his kiddney's about and his blood thinned dramatically, ten times that of someone on wolferine, the venom really wasted his muscles and he was touch and go for 3 weeks. Young Mark's a horse breaker and has youth and fittness on his side which got him through, he now has a healthy respect for snakes (we call em "Joe Blakes") down here.

Last year I got home to see our Jack Russell having a go at a Red Bellied Black snake, Nicky grabbed the dog, I caught the snake and couldn't see any marks made by the dog, I said, "I think we got to her in time" then Nicky said, "There's a bit of red between her toes, sure enough she'd been bitten, I got a pressure bandage on straight away and to the vets inside 1hr, we nearly lost her that night but she came home 2 days and $500 :(later........Hasn't stopped her chasing them but.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Warren

My first instinct when I saw that pile of 'em was a stick of dynamite.  But then I remembered the You Tube video of the whale and decided the dynamite might not be such a good idea.  Raining cats and dogs is one thing.  Raining rattle snakes just doesn't seem  like such a good idea...

:-\ :-\ :-\
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

semologger

We went down the river today seen 2 water moccasoins. One didnt make it bro in law got him with a 9mm. It was wrapped around railing on the dock. The other swam right next to friends 6 year old boy. :o That boy was walking on water getting out. Took him a while to get back in the water. Wont be the last on we will see.

Woodchuck53

I agree with Warren, surprise me and we'll see do it twice thogh they are toast. I have started putting the common ones in the shop and mill to help stem the rats. They logged out a section behind the place and I can't seem to catch up to the mice and rats. On a positive note when I told the family that I was putting snakes in the buildings tools stopped  being (borrowed) while I was at work. HEH HEH. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Lanier_Lurker

WildDog, I grew up in Southwest Georgia in an area riddled with rattlesnakes and cottonmouths.  I also used to catch them and transport them to some big holding pens they had at one of the plantations in the area.  Once or twice a year, some fella from the Ross Allen Reptile Institute down in Silver Springs, Florida would stop in and purchase them.  Bringing $2.50/ft, and me being a college kid in constant need of cash, who was I to pass that up.  ::)  I once caught over $50 worth of snakes in a single day while riding between peanut fields working as a crop scout.

So, while I have a healthy respect for our native venomous snakes, I don't panic if I happen to get near one or see one.

But that would change over night if I were ever to move to Australia.  You folks have snakes down there that give me nightmares.  Certain species are as agile as our rat snakes, as fast as our racers, as wily and as large as our king snakes, and much more venomous than our coral snakes.  :o

You would not see me attempting to catch or handle any venomous Australian snake.  I'll stick with the slow moving and fairly predictable American pit vipers.

submarinesailor

Their spiders are pretty ugly too.

Bruce

WildDog

Lanier_Lurker what did the reptile institute want with the snakes, was it venom for antivenene? Sounds like a dangerous way to make some cash.

I'm sure glad they don't offer money for wild caught venomous snakes here or my son would be out chasing them....anything for a buck.

We were aerial baiting yesterday at work with a bunch of farmers, we had about 2 hrs down time with the helicopter and most of that time was spent talking snakes, everyone had a story or 10 to share. I'll repeat a couple of mine.

One afternoon I was riding through a sheep camp on dusk when my horse shied, i noticed a Tiger snake flat on the ground, to get a good hit with a stock whip on a snake it's no good while he's flat you need his head raised, with the horse carrying on he raised his head, when the whip went out it wrapped around the snake but hooked on, as my arm came back in the reverse motion the 3ft snake came with it and landed acrossthe pomel of my saddle then fortunatley fell to the ground, these are one of our most dangerous. With most of our nasty types you can grab their tail and they can't climb their own body but the Tiger can requiring the handler to keep flicking him down or rotating his tail, these guys have heaps of venom and large fangs.

My worst experience was totally my own fault and came about from showing off. I was courting my wife, when she was working as a Jillaroo out west, we were swimming in a dam when I noticed a King Brown on the bank heading down a  crack in the dried mud, I grabbed it's tail and went to crack its head off like a stock whip, when i brought the snake/whip down it cracked up high between my legs with a loud smack and stung like hell on my wet leg, there was bood mixing with the water and running down my leg, I panicked wondering how you put a tornaque on your groin :( she calmed me down and worked out the blood was from the snakes partially severed head. :-[ :-[ :-[ I learn't my lesson, now days I let snakes be unless they're around the house and then I usually relocate them.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WildDog on June 01, 2008, 03:49:51 AM
Lanier_Lurker what did the reptile institute want with the snakes, was it venom for antivenene? Sounds like a dangerous way to make some cash.

Yes, they had an antivenin program.  They also supplied snakes to zoos and other facilities.

Here is some info on Ross Allen.  http://www.lostparks.com/rossal.html

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Por Fa VOR.  ::) ::) That little feller wasn't even venomous.  ::) :D :D :D

I have been catching the Fer De lance's and Coral's, here. I use them. Secret project.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WH_Conley

Bill

clww

Good grief, this is an old thread I'd never seen before. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver