iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to deal with snakes

Started by WH_Conley, February 29, 2008, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Most of the year I will give them a path to escape.  They always take it.  But when the critters are molting I am the one booking it out of there  :D
We have bunches of snakes but you don't hardly see them.  Mostly corn snakes, racers, queen snakes, ring necks, copper heads and timber rattlers.

Seen one rattle snake must have come over from Arkansas - he had three Arky faces tatooed on his side  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ARKANSAWYER

This is a king snake here at the log yard.  He is about 7 ft long.  I have caught him 3 times so far.

For the most part I just catch them.  They's so cute!  I have how ever been bitten 2 times by 'rattlers and once by a copper.  Cotton mouths are the worst when it is very hot and you are trying to fish under the willows.  I do evoke Genessis 3:15 on the pision ones as that is what the Good Book says to do.
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

When we were sneakin up and down the little feeder streams, looking for sunken logs, we always had to keep an eye peeled up on the limbs over head, fer Moccasins laying there waitin to ambush sumpin.  ::) ::) :o :o :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

flip

Farmer got tired of losing sheep so he set up an electric fence.  According to the email the wire strands are 10" apart.  Nice set of chompers huh? :o
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

Electric fence is not tied directly to metal stakes. I believe the whole thing is faked. Look  at the spacing ribs on the rebar ???  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

flip

The electric fence wire is about 2 feet inside the other fence.  I should have put that pic in also so it would be a little clearer.  Faked or not if those teeth are real I would be the last one on earth (well maybe behind Jeff) that would try to wrastle him for National Geographic.

Fla._Deadheader

Ahhhh, The REST of the story  ;) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

flip

Like Paul Harvey, I wanted to keep you in suspense. :D ;D ;)

Dave Shepard

For some reason I feel no pity for that thing.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

semologger

Don't look to fake look at the ground behind the snake were the tail was rubbing the ground. I  am glad we have smaller snakes around here. But they are just as dangerous. I ve seen plenty of copperheads as big around as my arm. I wish i had bigger arms. ;D

Crawfish

crtreedude

People have that little poem for coral snakes that I can't ever seem to remember but I have one of my own.

Snake that flees is friend of me.
Snake that attacks, is dead Jack!

Seems to work for all snakes too and it is a bit hardwired if you know what I mean.  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

semologger

Now That snake would be a Meal. Are snakes good for diets?

okie

I have little fear of snakes but I will kill every one on my place because of my wifes fear of them. I have never seen or heard of anyone as scared of snakes as my wife, they quite litterally petrify her, I have had to take the wheel while she was driving and one crossed the road, she just froze up like someone pushed the off button on her.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Larry

Snake blood really pops the figure in good walnut.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

LeeB

I don't bother with them as long as they don't bother with me. I will do in a poisonous snake if it takes up residance around the house or work areas. not much chance of that though. Lindy's birds pretty much keep them in check. I had a big rat snake take up residance in my  tool shed/feed shed once. I pretty much left him alone even though he was quite territorial because he was making a big differance in the mouse population. I finally had to cart him off because the kids got to complaining about his aggression. I took him into the woods acroos the raod. He was back in about two days, so I carried him off about half a mile. Took a week to get back. Last time I hauled him away it was about 5 miles. I finally got rid of that time till another one showed up next spring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

It obviously did not appreciate you hauling it off so unceremoniously ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

It surely wouldn't have liked the other option, bang bang, shoot shoot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

You are right, but I am not sure that snakes are great thinkers :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

I dont' worry about them...between the five cats, the Jack Russell, and the chickens, I don't see many.

if it's poisonous..it dies. It's good to be on this end of the food chain.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

Granny had a couple of round ceramic balls about the size, shape and color of chicken eggs. Leave them in the hen nest, few days later she'd find a dead chicken snake somewhere around the chicken house, cut the snake open, retrieve the "eggs" and put them back in the hen nest. Kept the snake population under control.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

I had two snake "incidents" yesterday.  My brother and I were picking up metal t-posts that we had removed from the ground this winter.  Since everything has greened up, we had a hard time finding the posts in the high grass and weeds.  Made me a little jumpy digging around in the weeds because I was worried about snakes, especially rattlesnakes and copperheads.  Sure enough, I walked right up on a snake (about 2 feet away from it before I saw it).  Luckily, it was just a kingsnake, one of the good ones.  I let it be.

After supper, I checked in on the Forum while my two women (wife and daughter) went on a walk with our beagle Callie.  A few minutes after they left, I heard my daughter yelling for me from the back door.  It was that kind of insistent yell that always signaled one thing, snake.  You see, these women do not like snakes at all.  I finally got them to let me peacefully carry the innocent snakes away out into the woods instead of passing final judgment on them.  The poisonous ones, though, get tried and are found guilty as charged for being too close to the house.

Well, I got the garden rake and proceeded across the yard, across the road, and into the hardwood.  The cat had found the snake about 20 feet on the other side of the road from the yard (let me say here that a snake in the "yard" is much more liable to get the ultimate sentence, innocent or not, if it is actually in the "yard").  It was a red bellied water snake (http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/nerery.htm).  I picked the snake up with the rake to walk the snake out to the "woods" and to freedom from the hanging judges.  But, the snake wanted no part of the rake carrying and wiggled off into the leaves.  A chase ensued.  The snake got down into the leaves and won.  Plumb disappeared.  The disappearance cause alarm among the jury.  They are still stepping lightly in that part of the "yard-woods" :).

semologger

Have any of you heard of Rodney Carrington? I love his bit on snakes funny stuff.

Warren

Hey WH !    You didn't say nuttin' bout no snakes when I was up there yeserday...

If I see them first AND I think they are harmless, Live and Let Live.  BUT, if they surprise me, or I'm not sure, closest available weapon, knife, machette, shovel, shotgun.  I ain't particular...

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!