iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The mills down again

Started by Bruno of NH, April 03, 2024, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

On Monday I was sawing a customers cherry log 34" on the small end 8' long .
Making 8/4 
2nd cut in I hit something and it stalled the mill dead.
Stopped and cut it out , it was a 3/4" x 10" power mast lag with 1/2" wire rope to support the wire.
Sawed the rest of the day but noticed a little vibration. Tuesday morning I started sawing and herd a couple of weird sounds and then it got bad . Shut down and checked the drive wheel hub assembly. Sure enough something broke inside.
I just spent a bunch of cash on logs , $5,800.00 to get the Kubota fixed, Sheila's truck had a breakdown and now waiting on a couple of customers to send me some checks. When they come in I will call Woodmizer NY and get a new assembly and drive belt. I will buy a press and see if I can fix the damaged one and have a spare the NY guys say they just replace them . I'm beginning to think I really did something when I was younger and I'm getting pay back for it. On top of that we have an other 20" of heavy wet snow on the way tonight. 
I don't have time to wand every log we mill . It's a struggle just to get the help to wire brush mud off. The customer had 20 logs not one had the limbs trimed . All 5 to 6 inch stubs. I was sawing when my help checked them in.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fluidpowerpro

Sorry your having such bad luck. Hopefully things will improve soon.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

Sorry to hear about this misfortune. I assume the customer pays for the band in cases like this but that does not help with your broken drive part.

Hopefully everything will come off and go back together easily and you will be back to making sawdust soon.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Develop a policy that if logs have to be trimmed then you charge "X" per hour, and make it a steep number.  Post it so nobody has an excuse.  Mills either doc scale or reject outright logs like that so you should not be any different.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Ya, $10.00 a nub to cut. They get the nubs back with the lumber. :thumbsup:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nebraska

Yep trimming nubs takes time away from better things.  Sorry about the mill crash.  

jpassardi

Sorry to hear Bruno, hang in there. When it rains it pours...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

moodnacreek

You know sawing off the branches is easier if you stay away from the log and it is also cute. And it is exciting to to find out what is inside besides wood. I like cracked logs with pea gravel packed inside. Don't you use carbide? And then they never come back. I don't saw other peoples wood anymore.  Really sorry about your wreck. P.S. yesterday my generator started putting out too much voltage and my generator guy is on vacation. But we only got 1/2" of snow.

Stephen1

That's a fair bit of damage for hitting some steel. I hit hardware all the time. and never done that type of damage. I wonder if running the thicker blades which are stronger contribute to that, the mill broke instead of just shearing all the teeth of the band. 
Always something Bruno. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

It was a turbo 7  1.5 wide band 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

It only had less than 1/4 of teeth left on it

Stephen1

Was it the .55th? 
I run the .45th 1.5'
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

.45  1.5  
It stalled the mill 
Never had that happen before 

Stephen1

Wow, I've hits lots and lots of hardware and never had it stall the mill. I've seen teeth sheared off for 2-3 feet .

Magicman

I have hit stuff and stalled the engine a couple of times.  I have had the blade completely stop and squall the drive belt and also had the blade knocked off of the bandwheels.  Whenever any of the above happens get ready to dig the blade out of whatever was hidden inside of the log.  Thankfully I have never had the sawmill to incur any damage.

Both of these knocked the blade off of the bandwheels.  LINK
and LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

That's too bad Bruno sorry to hear. I would be interested in seeing what it was that broke.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

Finally got the mill back sawing today.
I couldn't order the parts for the first 2 weeks as my customers payments (checks) got stolen at my po box. I can't do anything about it , the person who sends the checks has to file the charges. Can you believe that !
The part I needed got caught in paper work and was sent by Wood-mizer NC . After 10 days I called and then got 2 of them. While waiting I did lots of maintenance on the mill . It's like new again. Just need to tighten the brake band some more.
I became one with the firewood pile while waiting and cleaning old stock out off the mill yard.
On the bright side lots of that stuff is selling.
I cut and split lots of emerald kild ash . 

Nebraska

Sounds like you need a trail camera over your mail box. Glad you're back to going. 

esteadle

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 04, 2024, 09:35:42 AMThat's a fair bit of damage for hitting some steel. I hit hardware all the time. and never done that type of damage. I wonder if running the thicker blades which are stronger contribute to that, the mill broke instead of just shearing all the teeth of the band.
Always something Bruno.
Yep. Weakest link breaks. The slag inside the log being stronger than the bearings or the shaft, and the teeth being as good as they can be. Gah. That sucks.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 01, 2024, 05:26:15 PMFinally got the mill back sawing today.
I couldn't order the parts for the first 2 weeks as my customers payments (checks) got stolen at my po box. 
I don't understand, A po box is at the post office/ A mailbox is at the end of the driveway. Which is it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Po box right at the post office 
Can you believe that
I'm *pithed 
Called every postal agency they all sent me in a circle .
Local police said its up to the postal inspector 
The checks came from a big company 

doc henderson

There were workers arrested near KC for taking the amazon return products.  they kept seeing hundreds of amazon boxes in the dumpster out behind the post office.  We know as a shipped package got delayed as 8 people were in jail and they were short staffed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

The Post Office sort facility that serves our area is officially the worst one in the nation  ffcool  ffcool  They strive to disappoint, loose your mail, damage your stuff and flat out steal it every chance they get. Seems it's in the news weekly about someone from there being arrested, yet nothing improves.  Our Senator and Congresswoman tried to open up some half baked investigation into things and wanted a tour of the facility - Post Office told them no, go pound sand - and they did, so yea that's what we deal with.  Personally if i was the Senator or Congressman and got that answer I would have had a bill submitted the next day reducing the Post Masters salary to $0.  We absolutely avoid using the PO for anything important now, I will pay for Fed-Ex when it comes to something i can't have lost and we don't get chicks in the mail anymore, bought a commercial incubator instead. They are a joke.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

At least your post office didn't make the news for storing small mountains of cardboard boxes full of mail and packages outside in the side parking lot because they didn't have the employees to keep up with the deliveries and didn't have room inside the building.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mudfarmer

We regularly get other people's mail in our PO box. This is a REAL small post office. The people at the post office just blame each other but it never stops. How much of my mail has gone to other people's boxes? No way to know, but it is real uncomfortable to have to call someone and ask "did you mail that very large check or did the post office stick it in someone else's box?" :veryangry:

Is the company willing to cancel the checks and reissue? Sorry to hear you are getting jerked around

Thank You Sponsors!