iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly Planer: G0544 20" Pro Spiral Cutterhead Planer

Started by Dan_Shade, December 29, 2008, 09:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I ran one for 7 years and put over 100,000 bf thru it.  Upgraded to a 25" Oliver, not because of issues with the GO544, but to gain extra width.  I can cut 25" wide with the mill but could only plane 20" wide with the GO544.  I wanted the mill and the planer to be matched in the widths they can produce. 

I went with the Oliver over another Grizzly because when you go above 5 hp with the Grizzly line, you need 3-phase power.  With the Oliver, I could go to 10 hp 60 amp single phase, and I did not want to deal with 3-phase since that would have added more complexity and expense.  Anyway the 10hp Oliver just right for my business.  If I wanted to produce more volume, I would need to add 3-phase and a more powerful planer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Handling chips/shavings has become my bottle neck.  It does not take long to fill a 55 gallon drum with shavings while planing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!