iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New toy [machine] in the shop -

Started by mike_van, January 23, 2008, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

5 hours in the truck yesterday, I brought home a nice 2004 Uni Hydro 56 ton ironworker. It came with loads of tooling, dies, punches, [some stuff I haven't figured out yet]  I saw one of these in a guys shop quite awhile ago, it'll shear 14" of 3/8" plate steel, punch holes, 9" bending brake, shear angle iron & round bar -  Space is getting tight in the 20x20 shop -  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

scsmith42

Quote from: mike_van on January 23, 2008, 06:59:13 AM
Space is getting tight in the 20x20 shop -  8)

Nice score!  You're welcome to store it in my shop...  I'll even hook up the power to it!   :D

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

One of the local welding shops has a similar iron worker. They are a lot of fun to use. No more looking for a drill bit that works. ;) They really speed up making small production pieces.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nailhead

NICE find. Have been looking for one likethat for quite some time. Is it 3 ph or single ph power?
Once you start using it, you won't know how you got along without it.
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

stonebroke

Will we get pictures of it working? Please.

Stonebroke

Coon

I knew you got that before I read this topic. :D :D  Don't ask me how I know. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mike_van

I got all 1300 lbs of it rolled into position in the shop using four 1" pipes. That was after an hour of cleaning out the corner where it was going. This ones single phase, 5 hp.  Having 3 phase in the shop, it didn't matter to me, but I guess someday when I'm too old to use it, it'll sell better single.  Had to run new wire to it, that took awhile threading it behind all the stuff in the shop. I did get it running, it works fine, punched a few holes & sheared off a piece of 1/4" x 4 flat. Nice clean cut!  I'll get a few pics tomorrow, boy, there's a lot to it & the things it does.                                          Coon, you have another ID on a different forum?

Coon

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

low_48

Oh man, I'm jealous ;) When I saw one of those for the first time, shearing a miter on 1/4" x 2" angle iron, or shearing 1/2"plate, my jaw dropped. Congrats on the new machine. You're going to love it.

mike_van

I did my first big "job" today - More experiment than anything - I put in a junction box yesterday, couldn't find a cover - Hey, no problem - Machine came with all the punches & dies from 3/16 to 1 1/16, plus some slot & oval ones too. I changed the punch & die to 3/16,  one bolt & one allen head to loosen, plus a spanner collet. Only takes a few minutes.    I found a piece of .080 steel, marked it out, ran it through the shear & had a nice square plate for a cover. Theres a jig for the punch you can set so it always punches the corner of a 90, I didn't use it for this. Two 3/16" nice round holes in the plate & I've got a cover for the box.     I could get used to this real fast - There's a lot to this machine, I don't think you learn it all in a few days.  One thing thats really going to be nice is the metal brake. It's only 9" wide, but it'll bend 1/2 plate into a perfect 90. Gotta be better than the torch, vice & a BIG hammer.  :D

DWM II

Those are awesome machines 8). You will find all kinds stuff to speed up fab jobs (like the jbox cover). Like all other machines, WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FINGERS!  :)
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!