iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best ribs for my smoker???

Started by Woodhauler, June 28, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Bought some beef ribs today, not enough meat to feed a fly on them!!!  Any recomendations? >:(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

isawlogs

Why are you trying to feed the flies  ???    .... ;D

Seriously though, too bad you aint close to Glen, he would fix you up with food for that fly or flies. ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

good meaty beef ribs are hard to find.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Yoopersaw

Raider Bill

sure is. I just bought 4 slabs for this weekend on the new smoker / grill.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Mooseherder

Beef back ribs by nature will not have a lot of meat on them because the meat That comes off it is Ribeye Steak.  Beef Back Ribs usually retail for 1.99 a pound.  They would lose their shirt to leave it on and it would also ruin the appearance of the steak.
Ask your butcher for Beef Plate Short Ribs or Flanken.
They have plenty of meat on them but they will be around 5 dollars a pound.
I make the Beef Back Ribs every so often on my pit. 
Cooking them long and slow sure makes them tasty.
One rack feeds two people easily.

Meatcutters and plant workers leave more Meat on Pork Back Ribs because the price per lb. is equal to or more than boneless pork chops.
Sometimes I feel there is too much meat on the ribeye end of the Pork Ribs.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 28, 2013, 06:29:28 PM
Beef back ribs by nature will not have a lot of meat on them because the meat That comes off it is Ribeye Steak.  Beef Back Ribs usually retail for 1.99 a pound.  They would lose their shirt to leave it on and it would also ruin the appearance of the steak.
Ask your butcher for Beef Plate Short Ribs or Flanken.
They have plenty of meat on them but they will be around 5 dollars a pound.
I make the Beef Back Ribs every so often on my pit. 
Cooking them long and slow sure makes them tasty.
One rack feeds two people easily.
Thats what i found! One rack for me and my wife! Will do the other tomorrow along with the pork ribs!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

I forgot to mention pulling the inner skin off from the inside of the rib makes for tastier and a more tender experience.   Especially on the Beef Back Ribs.

WDH

I am also grilling ribs Sunday.  Good ole pork.  Mmmm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

As I say with them small chicken wings,I would stave eating them.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We be smoking chickens in the smoker with lots of Apple Wood. Emmmmmmm!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

What kind of chicken? Chrispy?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on June 28, 2013, 10:30:02 PM
What kind of chicken? Chrispy?  :D

Nope, just good 'Ol juicy Apple Tasting Chicken.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

Glenn,
Is that called the cape / cap meat on a rib eye?

Mooseherder

No, the Ribs are on the other side.
The bottom side that isn't rounded.

Flap Meat, also known as Bottom Sirloin is a great piece of Meat especially if you cook it brisket style.
The flap is actually on the Loin part that flanks alongside the Porterhouse and T-Bone.
In the old days, it was the part that was left on the Porterhouse and called the tail.
It was turned into the package next to the tenderloin.
I haven't seen it marketed that way in 20 years although it could be happening somewhere.
You can slice it or leave it whole and it doesn't take a 1/4 of the time Brisket takes. Yummy. :)
I had posted a video a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-LMpHHzxw

OneWithWood

DanG! Just ate dinner and now I am hungry again...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

red oaks lumber

just finished up pork ribs, home grown!i do not like beef ribs at all ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!