iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A visit to the land of Magic. Magicman that is :o)

Started by Jeff, January 17, 2016, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a good picture. Did you take your pocket and carve "Jeff was here" on it?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Very cool tour.  I saw some cherrybark oak leaves sticking to the mud on the tire of the vehicle  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 17, 2016, 09:02:17 PM
Very cool tour.  I saw some cherrybark oak leaves sticking to the mud on the tire of the vehicle  :D.

Uhhh, you're missing the point Danny.  :D This was a visit trip, not a show and tell for WDH.  ;D

WDH

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth  :D :D :D (old saying).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 17, 2016, 09:15:32 PM
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth  :D :D :D (old saying).

You'er my goat horse of knowledge.  smiley_thumbsup

gfadvm

What a wonderful place Magicman has! That cabin is where I would be living for sure. I really appreciate Jeff taking us all along on his trip to God's Country. The videos were excellent. And now I'm craving some gumbo.

THANKS Jeff.

Sixacresand

Glad you had a good time.  Lynn and Pat have a nice place and are great hosts.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2016, 09:05:28 PM

Uhhh, you're missing the point Danny.  :D This was a visit trip, not a show and tell for WDH.  ;D

Au contraire monsieur goat!

https://youtu.be/Fpp0qmgztCo
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH, I may be wrong but I think Lynn and Jeff were hinting at a Walnut Project to be held on the Davis farm. :)

I believe I would drive to that one.

This was a really good video also.

Jeff

I'm not thinking that is the case. Too much would be going on harvest wise for a social gathering if things came together for what Magicman is thinking. I could be wrong.

4x4American

Looks like it was a good time!  Beautiful chunk of land, Lynn!  Say, Lynn, you mentioned something about hanging up your spurs, was that figuratively or actually?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice, thanks for taking us with you.
Magic Man I am amazed at the racks you have, well, racked up!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

A plan is hatching.  There is going to be a walnut incident in Mississippi I hope :).

That vine needs sawing too  :D. 

The leaf will tell us whether it is slippery elm (AKA red elm) or cedar elm.  Slippery elm leaf is twice the size of cedar elm.   Nice shot of the mock orange at the end, the green one with the thorns.  Good old Poncirus trifoliata

Very interesting ride, really enjoyed it. 

Jeff

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 18, 2016, 06:45:35 AMDose all that land flood from time to time?
That creek is "blessed" with a drainage area that is ~2 miles "square" so a huge amount of water passes through.  Yes, the bottom land and the bridge that we crossed will go up to ~2 feet under water.  Twice I have had poles and bridge decking to wash off before I could complete a rebuilding project.  That is also why I continually have trees to give way and fall.  The strange thing is that as the water swirls it deposits silt and tree seeds/nuts somewhere else and the cycle continues.  The creek doesn't get larger, but it is continually changing.

Here is a map of my place outlined in red and the yellow is my leased land.  The Cabin is in the extreme NE corner.  The "Straw Field" is the brown area in the center, and the "Back Forty" is the NW corner.  Most all of the "open" land is now Pine plantations.  The pin map on my profile shows a much later picture of how it actually is now and the food plots in the Straw Field and Back Forty are green instead of brown.

Jeff mentioned the North wind that we had to deal with while hunting.  The deer normally bed in the 150 acre block in the SE corner which makes hunting with a North wind a serious challenge at best.  We had one afternoon that things were finally working when a puff of wind sent them running with their tails up.  There was one day that we did not see a single deer, but I do not recall that it hampered our visiting and fellowship.  Heck, maybe that is why we did not see anything.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 18, 2016, 07:12:57 AMMagic Man I am amazed at the racks you have, well, racked up! Jon

This was my last "season limit" in 1997 when I decided that one would be my future limit.

This board (from left to right) is mostly my "one per year" board since 1997.

Yup a few prior to 1996 and none of them are sheds.

This year has been very unusual with only one "good" buck and one cull taken.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2016, 07:40:03 AM
I am enthralled with mock orange.

Mom's uncle and aunt had two clumps of it for years out on the front lawn near the road. Smells nice when in flower.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Will it grow up here? You seem to be about the same latitude as us.

Texas Ranger

Jeff. a lot of the time the camera was on the ground, so were you looking down for snakes?   8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

elk42

Jeff  it is good up to planting zone 5 . They are winter hardy to -10°   My family call them wild orange or flying dragon.     
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Texas Ranger

Trifoliate orange show up unexpectedly, and plant a thorn in your head.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Ours is different Jeff. It's Philadephus in the Hydrangeaceae family. Not thorny.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I would hate to see it spread to anywhere.  That stuff is nasty.

WDH

I have seen thickets of it in a bottomland in San Jacinto County Texas that you could barely walk through.

A lot of thorny stuff in Texas, including some of the people.  There is one old Texas Ranger there in Polk County that is pretty thorny  :).  Cooks a mean steak, though  ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!