iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw mills vs bandmills

Started by scgargoyle, October 01, 2006, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

That's an awesome picture..  8)

I think noise is a problem. If you've got neigbors close buy, you don't want a screaming chainsaw.
Ears are another consideration. I've got 25 years in the music business behind me, plus I'm a shooter, and somehow I made it with pretty decent hearing at 47, but I wear plugs doing everthing.  Inner and outers when shooting.

My Kawasaki on the LT40 is pretty dang quiet, and I think I'm going to add an aftermarket ATV silencer muffler even, for more noise reduction.  Gotta save your ears.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

tcsmpsi

HAH?  You gotta speak up.   ;D

I am very glad to hear that you use full ear coverage.   ;)

Odd as it may seem, one of the things I've done that has probably done as much damage to my ears as anything, was putting valve seats in the rebuilding of VW heads.  Something about the combination of the particular holding jig, resonance of the aluminum and my particular method of swinging the big hammer. 

I'm sure that running that big old straight exhaust Poulan for so long didn't help any. 

Ear protection?  That's when you slap 'skeeters off 'em, ain't it? 

I did use to put empty cases in my ears when shooting.  Sometimes.   ;D

The ringing got bad enough 20 yrs or so ago, I figured I might had better do a little something different. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Raphael

SWMBO picked out our new digital camera...  I think she made a good choice.  I'm still learning all the functions.  ;D

Ears wouldn't last long without protection running an 066 on the Logosol mill.  The guide rail is an aluminum box beam and that sucker sure does resonate the sound, fortunately I have a little space between me and the neighbors.
  These days the only time I don't wear hearing protection with a chainsaw is dropping a tree or when I'm making one or two quick cut offs all day long.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

leweee

Check out Dangerous Dan's chainsawmill gone electric in this Thread. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10184.0  :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ron Wenrich

A good number of years ago, I was talking to a forester from Oregon that was involved in timber trespass cases.  He said that the thieves would take the exhaust from their saws and run them into a bucket of water.  The result was that it worked as a silencer.  No one would hear the saws when they were stealing the trees.

Any truth to that?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

twoodward15

I can't see a good way to get a pipe/hose hooked up to an exhaust, especially on a chainsaw, without melting something or having it come out of the water, especially when it's running on it's side to make a cut, then you pull it out of the tree and make the wedge, then pull it out to go to the other side of the tree.  You'd come out of the water at some point.
   On another note, I have a quad and a 3 wheeler.  I ride in the woods behind my house (on trails, not destructing the woods!).  If you get any more than about 50 feet from the houses you can't hear them anymore.  My quad was real loud and you couldn't hear it.  Sometime this fall I hope to take my chainsaw mill out there to saw up some downed trees.  I'll ask him to listen for me.  I'm guessing that even running without any type of silencer you wouldn't hear them if they were a hundred yards away.  I'll let you know.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

jpgreen

I would think it depends on the terrain in your area.  I live near a canyon of sorts or pretty much the base of a mountain range ridges and you can hear a chain saw a long ways.

Yes, if a guy wanted to silence a saw like that it's certainly doable. I can think of many ways to rig up a flexable steel pipe to the engine for the first few feet as the exhaust cools, then connecting it to a long rubber hose, even flexaust into a five gallon bucket with bungie cord.

Where there's a will there's a way..  ;D

flht01

Quote from: jpgreen on October 05, 2006, 10:25:29 AM
Yes, if a guy wanted to silence a saw like that it's certainly doable. I can think of many ways to rig up a flexable steel pipe to the engine for the first few feet as the exhaust cools, then connecting it to a long rubber hose, even flexaust into a five gallon bucket with bungie cord.

Where there's a will there's a way..  ;D

Hmmnn... Sounds like a "Been there - Done that" confession to me  :D

jpgreen

A fertile imagination can dream up all kinds of devious tools, but I choose to stay away from the dark side.. :D

tcsmpsi

I'm not sure what timeframe the guy you were talking to was dealing with the 'silenced chainsaws' was, Ron but it could be done I suppose.  

Now, like in this design,

it would be relatively simple to attach something to the exhaust port.  And, it would most certainly be of significant benefit.  
When that straight exhaust on that big ol Poulan is singin' in full octave, it doesn't matter how thick woods are, it can be heard for a loooooong ways.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ron Wenrich

Time frame was the late '70s and the exhaust was geared to run into a garden hose, then into a bucket of water.

My thinking is if they did it back then, why not do it now for these chainsaw mills?  It would make them more of a pleasure to run. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

twoodward15

Hmmmm, good idea.  I guess one would have to get a pipe fabbed to get the exhaust turned.  I wonder how much of a horse power loss there would be.  I would have to assume it would really take its toll on power.  Don't most of these saws have the exhaust running ou tof the bar side of front of the saw?  It wouldn't let you cut the biggest log possible if you had something coming out the front.  I think my main concern would be loss of power more than anything though. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

tcsmpsi

'70s would have been a little after that (and others similar) saw's prime.
Not certain if one could keep water in a bucket with its exhaust turned into it, anyhow.   :D

For running a chainsaw mill, I believe a hose/pipe/etc running from the exhaust would be a bit burdensome and perhaps dangerous. 

By comparison, today's saws are pretty quiet.  Good, full coverage ear protection would still probably be the best and safest.

Thank You Sponsors!