iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Accident - Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 05, 2018, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, no pictures. I still have nightmares remembering toes and head scrapes from past member posts.

A little late in the season since bow season starts 29th of this month but I finally got a couple hundred pounds of whole corn and charged my batteries to go fill and program a couple of feeders adjacent to a couple of elevated shooting houses. My normal route has been blocked so I started up a big draw that runs through the middle of my property. It is a very steep runoff with lots of very steep spots with many big rocks. At one particular spot I have to turn 90 degrees to the slope of the draw. Today I had 100 lbs of corn in the front basket and when I attempted the turn I got off balance and the ATV, a Kawasaki Prairie 650, rolled. I fell off and banged up my side and hit my head on a rock That was very painful but not nearly as bad as when the ATV continued and rolled right over the top of me. Fortunately It stopped in an upright position below me. I crawled out and decided most of my body parts were working even if sore. I picked up one bag of corn that had flown free and put it back in the basket. I put the seat back on the ATV as it had popped off. I picked up chains, cables, tools, 6 volt batteries and even found my cell phone which, miraculously, still worked. I tightened everything down with my winch cable and cranked up my machine and rocked it off a couple of rocks, recovered my hat from under the ATV and got the ATV pointed back up hill and got on and continued my trip, set up the feeder and extremely nervously rode back down the hill, getting off and walking beside the ATV at that choke point.

I have a bruised and lacerated/scraped scalp on the right side and a very big strawberry just below my right elbow. My right side lower ribs are badly bruised if not cracked. Quick movements like bending over to pick up things or reach around to the side are going to be few and far between for a while.

Its not the first time I have rolled or even flipped my ATV but it is a good reminder these things hurt more the older I get. Be careful out there.

The bad thing is I am not even sure I will be able to draw my compound bow to verify it is still sighted in and if I am able to pull and hold it at full draw long enough to hunt with.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I am just glad that you are OK, albeit cracked, bruised, and sore. 

I can loan you a few of my pictures if you are too timid to show yours.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Some of your pictures were the ones I was thinking of. No thanks - please don't republish them. I think I'd rather watch old zombie movies as less terrifying than some of the stuff you and Dave Poston have posted.

Don,

A couple or so years back WV opted to allow us to use a crossbow for everything but muzzle loader hunts so I could have already been using one. My son shot a nice buck with his last year. I have not bought one yet thinking I can still draw my compound bow. May have to re-think that for this year. We will see.

I was already scheduled to see my PA/Doctor tomorrow at 0930 because of sinus and sore throat. She may have plenty of other issues to check out instead. I am sure under old rules she would have been ready to write me a medical waiver to use one. 

Or she might be like my favorite Navy doctor when I was in USMC. We'd send our sick, lame and lazy to him. He was he the only marathon runner on the medical team. I sent a Cpl to him one time complaining all our PT was giving him shin splints and stress factors. I remember framing the medical chit the doc sent back saying "Problems are the result of poor circulation. Patient needs to stop smoking and run more." With my luck my PA might prescribe an old fashioned long bow for therapy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV -

Sorry to hear about this but glad it was not worse.  Once you are healed up a bit would some sort of roll cage work on your wheeler given the terrain you are in?  Just a thought.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

Glad you are not banged up any worse. I won't get on an atv, snowmobile or motorcycle without a helmet, my coconut won't take any more abuse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

Would be nice but don't know how I'd ever rig one on this ATV. In the past I was still fast enough to get out of the way before the machine rolled over on me. A UTV with a cage would be nice but I am not sure I could get up the slopes I travel on one of them. The was kind like the old days when the horse landed on the cowboy.

Sawguy,

That would have helped here although my worst injuries seem to be my ribs and/or my back. We will see how this develops. 

I remember 10-15 years ago going to my dentist and finding my two front teeth needed a root canal and ultimately over time implants. My dentist asked me if I had gotten hit in the mouth and I told him no. I told him only thing I could think of was I might have hit them together when I fell off my horse. He asked "Didn't you feel your teeth or mouth were sore?" I told him "No at the time my butt was so sore I did not notice the rest of me being sore."
Howard Green

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

So true. Speed is never a factor in ATV incidents for me as I am typically crawling over a slope. The terrain/slope is the issue. I should have gotten off and walked beside the machine as I have in the same spot before. 
Howard Green

Bruno of NH

Glad to hear you are ok.
I have flipped a couple of atvs it's no fun when they land on top of you.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Boy that is the truth. Talk about adding insult to injury that will do it for you. You're already laying there in the mud and feeling the blood running down your face from the rock you landed on wondering what other injuries you have then here comes a honking 650 lb machine rolling right over you pushing you right back down.

My PA checked me and told me to expect about 6 weeks of rib pain. My lungs were clear so I declined an X-ray of my ribs as it really doesn't matter if they are bruised or cracked as same results and treatment. I did learn they recommend against binding the ribs now because, while it reduces pain to a degree, it also makes it harder to clear your lungs and pneumonia is more likely. She prescribed plenty of 800 mg Motrin to use as needed. 

I will be sitting here all fat, dumb and happy and forget till I reach for something or try to get up then I get a quick, firm reminder I am not well yet.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Glad you are not hurt worse than you are.  I've rolled my ATV a time or two.  Unless someone rides on hills and hollows they have no idea how easily the things can roll.  I'm thinking of loading my tires with antifreeze and water.  

If you are sore and beat up, cocking a crossbow can be a challenge.  Mine is 175 pound draw and it requires some effort.   

Hope your recovery is quick and complete.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

Recovery won't be quick. That is for sure. My PA says expect 6 weeks for the sore ribs. I still get sharp pains when I forget and reach for something. Hiccups and sneezing are nightmares too. I just popped another 800 mg Motrin. she says 3 a day okay. I usually just use one at bedtime.

The extra weight in the tires could cause me as many problems as they solve I fear. Going up the steep hills I need weight in front to hold it down while coming down I have to lean back as far as possible to hold the back down. My biggest problem is when I have to turn on a side slope. Even a 1-2 inch rise such as running over a rock or root on the uphill side may be enough to shift the center of balance. Straight up and down this is not as big an effect and can quickly be compensated.

Sampson got off at the gate and said "No thanks, I'll walk." Not sure what effect 13 lbs of Rat Terrier would have had but at least he was safe.
Howard Green

Don P

You mentioned a bug going around and you aren't coughing if at all possible. Keep an eye on yourself and make sure the lungs don't start loading up on you.
A friend was using one of the mini walk behind bobcats a month or so ago and it rolled on him on a hill. He was out of shouting range and no cell service there so he reached around and found enough sticks and rocks to start levering and chocking. He should be off the cane by now and hoping for a full recovery, very lucky, it only takes a second.

SawyerTed

Sorry to hear recovery is so long.  Take care of yourself.  I do hope you bounce back soon!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Don,

Yes I very much have the bug. It is getting better every day but a long, slow and painful process. it is very hard to blow my nose very hard and coughing hurts like blazes. The antibiotics my PA gave me seem to be working and every day my sinuses and lungs seem better every day.

My PA did discuss that they normally try not to bind sore or cracked ribs because it stopped them from coughing and they tended to get pneumonia more.

I commend your friend for freeing himself. You basically do what you have to do. For many of us here on the forum we work alone so much and in some cases we don't need or want company all the time. It does make you get creative about doing different tasks. Another factor for a lot of us here is our age. It would interesting to see what the average age of the FF members are but I see some old codgers here and we are still kicking. 
Howard Green

doctorb

Glad you're OK.  About 10 years ago, I flipped my JD lawn tractor being stupid on a hill.  Landed on top of me, pinning me to the ground.  Out of sight and no help within earshot, I worked my right leg back and forth into the ground, which thankfully was a little soft.  I slid out from under the tractor eventually and started to limp up the hill to the house.  My wife had some work friends over at the time, and one of them looked out the window and saw me coming.  I was covered in oil and dirt and grass and limping badly.  My wife's guest turned to her and said,"I didn't know you had migrant workers!"  She didn't recognize that it was me.  Took a couple of weeks for the bruising to fade.  Good luck with that crossbow.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

coalsmok

You got off lucky.  These hills and hollows make for dangerous riding sometimes.
My worst was waking up in a creek that was just shallow enough to not drown me with a 300 Honda laying across my waist. The ride after that to a friends house to get hauled home was my last ride for years.

Pulphook

We're some old farts here. As I get into the 4 score and ten range, I'm more cautious about working the woodlot.
The size of the saws gets smaller with bar length ( MS261 16" ) . The ATV ( Honda Foreman 500 ) never goes on slopes with the good chance of tips.
I used to go anywhere.
Felling now takes some serious planning with cleared escape routes just in case. I use more wedges and plunge/bore cuts with a safety 'tongue'.
A few years ago we went through a Wilderness Medicine course that tooled us for emergency lifesaving methods when far away from EMT availability.
The kit now is simple with that WM training:duct tape, tourniquets, blood clotting powder.
Not too bad since most of us cut alone. I don't want anyone nearby when felling, trimming, bucking.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

WV Sawmiller

Well, I will say today was the best day since my accident. I'm still stiff and sore but the bug is nearly gone so less coughing and sneezing and the related pains that brought. Getting up and walking around is pretty pain free although reaching for something on the floor still brings a sudden surprise and a sharp twinge. We went to get our hurricane preparedness supplies such as topping up groceries and fuel and I did get some back pain in the grocery store. I got home and went to the outboard shop and got my boat and motor back - I broke the handle yesterday and took it in and they repaired it in record time although cost me $250. I got out and mowed the grass before I had to bale it for hay and had no issues doing that. 

One note from the grocery store reminds me you have to love WV. Some lady was looking at chicken livers and said "I wish I felt better. I'd buy these livers and go fishing. I'd love to have a blue cat about that big and held her hands apart. Yeah, that and a young groundhog and I'd be set. Boy I'd sure love to get me a good young groundhog to eat." Only in WV!
Howard Green

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Yep, typical FF  postings. Everything eventually gets back to food.

What? Everybody doesn't eat Groundhog? Takes kind of like a cross between coon and squirrel to me. Maybe a little darker meat than armadillo. 
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

Groundhog, coon, armadillo, Man you guys in the south will eat anything.  :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Don P

Anything slower than me is liable to be on the menu :snowball: :D

WV Sawmiller

Why do you think we don't have a porcupine problem and Wolverines don't live down south? And if there is a Cajun or two in the neighborhood it is even worse. :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!