iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using what ya got...

Started by JohnM, January 06, 2013, 05:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

So a friend of my wife's asked if I could plane some poplar lumber her husband had cut up with his CSM that they hope to use for flooring in a small bathroom (or some small room...I think ???).  Well as near as I can tell he doesn't have a ripping chain or maybe a really dull one?  I don't know anything about CSMs.  I haven't actually met him yet but I'll make sure to tell him about the FF for tips and advice. 

The boards were ROUGHLY 1" thick so I made 3 passes total, 2 on the finish side and one on the 'bottom' so they would at least lay flat(ish).  Left them right at 3/4", maybe could have taken one more pass on the 'bottom' but 3/4" is what I know so that's where I left em.  They are not flat nor squared up, he's on his own there.

'Finished' boards.

I think I need a dust collection system! ;) ;D :D

And yes, I know my shop is an absolute sty :o :-[

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Well, I think that you did a slick job.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sometimes it's hard to make chicken salad out if, well you know what I mean.
But all and all, I say you did a good job with what you had to work with.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I hope it's for an out house.   ;D  Looks like you did good,but the width is kinda off some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

Hopefully they will surface to 5/8" for flooring. If not, you still did good.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

beenthere

He's a ways to go to get some better CSM boards. Hopefully he can get some help in that area so he doesn't have to see-saw his way through a log. I'd first suspect a very dull chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

yup dull chain,but you did a good job, and for a shop in that shape , it looks like some one is working :D good luck John M
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

A dust collection system is nice  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

TheCfarm, It's an illusion.  Each side has a rough edge, but that board is about the same width all along.  What looks like a split on the left, is actually a shadow from the edge of the board.  It just sitting skewed on top of another board.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JohnM

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 06, 2013, 09:45:10 PM
TheCfarm, It's an illusion.  Each side has a rough edge, but that board is about the same width all along.  What looks like a split on the left, is actually a shadow from the edge of the board.  It just sitting skewed on top of another board.
Yep, top board is just cock-eyed.

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2013, 09:20:10 PM
A dust collection system is nice  ;D.
Spiral heads for both planer and jointer are on my radar too. ;D

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 06, 2013, 08:25:47 PM
... and for a shop in that shape , it looks like some one is working...
The shop is used for creating things...in this case, it's creating the illusion the shop gets used!  ::) ;) ;D  (Actually that's pretty true this time of year, that old barn is like an ice box most days.)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!