iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massy skidder ?

Started by rick f, December 04, 2012, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

I'm asking for a buddy. He has found a massy skidder for sale cheap. It has a blown engine. It was a Perkins engine that went south. How difficult is it to change moters to a 3-53 Detroit?
Are these skidders any good?

Were going to look at it soon so I'll have the model number, kind of transmission and maybe more info.

Thanks guys

PS he says it is about the size of a 664 clarke
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ohio_Bill

I have a Massey   320 with a 318 Perkins. There are a lot of those engines around they were used in farm tractors. I think one of the Models was a 1085.   I'm not sure about changing to a Detroit. I would think you would have to adapt to the bell housing, not sure how that would go.  I like the skidder have had it for about 10 years.

Good luck with the project.

Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

DDDfarmer

Perkins is a good engine, might be worth rebuilding rather than replace with a detroit also a good engine. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

timberjackrob

i think i would stick with the perkins too we have had em in massey tractors for years i like the detroit too but it would be easier to stick with original engine i would think.1085 and 285 masseys had the 318's but i dont know if they are the same type engine or not tractors used a stress block as it was part of the frame skidders might have used an industrial type engine with diffrent bellhousing im sure somebody will awnser that question.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Okrafarmer

Nice picture, Ohio Bill. I was not aware Massey made skidders-- I have seen a picture of a JI Case skidder, though. I guess that must have been in the time frame where Massey was also building bulldozers. Don't see them too much.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Woodhauler

I would put a john deere in it! Did it to my C5, no problems doing it! Cummins used to make a bellhousing for about every application if you go with a cummins motor.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

Quote from: rick f on December 04, 2012, 07:21:04 PM
I'm asking for a buddy. He has found a massy skidder for sale cheap. It has a blown engine. It was a Perkins engine that went south. How difficult is it to change moters to a 3-53 Detroit?
Are these skidders any good?

Were going to look at it soon so I'll have the model number, kind of transmission and maybe more info.

Thanks guys

PS he says it is about the size of a 664 clarke
there used to be 2 of them junked out retired in searsport.  i dont know if they are still there or not. i think that guy bought them new back in the late 70's from the massey dealer in belfast. i saw one last summer in vermont that looked pretty good

Bobus2003

My dad almost bought one in the mid 90's.. Nice machine.. Could move some wood, but it was a heavy beast.. Ended up buying my JD440 instead

lumberjack48

Very well built machine, I'm a Detroit man, but i've ran Perkins in a C4 and a C6. I would rebuild the Perkins or find a replacement.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Okrafarmer

Did Massey build them in their own factory, or brand them out?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

oscar4749

I'm perty sure Massey built them themselves.If I rember right I think they were built in the midwest,Can't recall where right now.I used to work for the biggest Massey dealer on the east coast many many moons ago.Yes they were good skidders but like was said they are heavy.Personaly I would rebuild the Perkins or replace it.They used to use the same engine in their 500 dozers and loaders.but we won't get into that!Good luck with your machine
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

rick f

Thanks for the info guy's. I hope he will go look at it, so I can go.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ohio_Bill

I found out this information and I hope it's correct.

Two Models     220 and 320

Built 1976 and 1977

320 weighs   16000 lbs    'got that out of my operators manual.

Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Okrafarmer

I guess you have a nice working collector's item, Bill! A rare classic.

rick f

This is the skidder he is looking at.  Looks like a nice project to work on.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

lumberjack48

The 320's frame, fenders, arch, blade and ect, look like a S8 IH. The frame and ect are heavier then the Tree farmer.

The iron is straight on the Ole girl, looks worse then it is, make a good project.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ohio_Bill

Rick, it looks like it needs a home.  Is it a 220 or a 320? If your friend decides to get it send me a PM and I will give the Name of Massey Dealer where I was able to get all the manuals for mine.  Parts, Operators and Service they have been a great help.
Bill

rick f

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on December 06, 2012, 06:57:06 PM
Rick, it looks like it needs a home.  Is it a 220 or a 320? If your friend decides to get it send me a PM and I will give the Name of Massey Dealer where I was able to get all the manuals for mine.  Parts, Operators and Service they have been a great help.

It is a 220.  Aguy was supose to buy it 2 years ago so he asked them again. They said he was going to buy it next week, we'll see. Lokks like a couple three thousand will buy it.

I'll keep you all updated

Thanks again
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

Okrafarmer

Quote from: lumberjack48 on December 06, 2012, 10:46:27 AM
The 320's frame, fenders, arch, blade and ect, look like a S8 IH.

Do you think MF subbed production out to IH, or is the resemblance merely superficial? MF did do some "deals with the devil" back in the '60's and '70's in order to flesh out their line and make it more complete. Such as the MF 97 and MF 98, for instance.

lumberjack48

I don't think so. i think its a resemblance of a well built machine, no short cuts on iron, more less looks like its molding together, not just straight welds.

You can look at the 320 an see what i mean. Every TF i had the first thing i'd have to do is beef the blade up and the same with the fenders. The newer TF's were better.

Holmes

I may be way off here but was Iron Mule a Massey or the back half of a Massey originally?
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Holmes on December 07, 2012, 05:46:02 PM
I may be way off here but was Iron Mule a Massey or the back half of a Massey originally?

You mean a Massey farm tractor? Is / was Iron Mule a professional pulling tractor? I haven't been following the professional tractor pull circuit.

Holmes

Iron Mule is a forwarder, engine in front grapple loader and bunk in back..
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Holmes on December 09, 2012, 08:11:02 AM
Iron Mule is a forwarder, engine in front grapple loader and bunk in back..

Oh yeah, I guess I heard of them.

Reddog

Quote from: Holmes on December 07, 2012, 05:46:02 PM

If I remember right, Gafner/Iron Mule started with Ford farm tractors, then went to Massey industrial tractors, then to Ford industrial tractors.
But the last years are fuzzy with the Iron Mule/Clark/Valmet buy outs.

Thank You Sponsors!