iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From Chickens to Sawdust!

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 11, 2005, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jflytle

Kirk,

The good Lord definitely smiles  ;D on the kind and generous souls. As said previously, if we all had neighbors like you, we wouldn't have half the problems in this world that we do.

I wish I was closer to give you a hand with that pile of work. I could definitely put some of that Walnut to good use. I guess I would need to tune up the chainsaws too. ;)

BTW, did your wife get any chickens yet? What kind? Nothing like a fresh brown egg omlet in the morning. Not those store bought eggs. It is a very different taste. Once you tried it you will not go back.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Kirk_Allen

Thanks John, I appreciate the kind words.

The first load of chickens comes into Rural King Farm supply next week.  They have three shippments of close to 6000 birds.  Not sure what species she is set on but will find out.  Now that we can determine the sex of the chicks we will end up with mostly hens.  Only need a couple of roosters.  Got enough birds around here waking my up early so dont care to have to many roosters if you know what I mean. 

Im looking forward to it.  Kind of brings back memories as a kid.  The barn I have all my wood stored in is an old Chicken Barn from when my Great Grandparents and Grandparents raised chickens.  They had over 1000 at any given time.  My dad says I'm nuts.  He had to take care of those chickens as a kid.  Lots of chores for a farm kid back then.  As an only child he was stuck with all the critters feeding.  Chickens, Sheep, Hogs, cattle.  Now he wants NO PART of any animal other than his Horses, dogs and cats.  His Dad would never let him have a horse as a kid so when he got older and could afford it, he got a horse, and another farm, and more horses etc.  He was up to 17 horses for a while but has scaled back over the last couple years.  I think he now boards 1 horse and has 4 of his own.  After his prize Arabian went nuts and almost killed him a few years ago he realized it was time to back away from Stud Arabians, which is what he mostly has.  Now they are all fixed and much easier to work with. 

jflytle

Kirk,

I know those memories. My grandfather was a dairy farmer North of Milwaukee when I was growing up. I used to spend summers with him. His hobby, believe it or not, was raising and showing chickens and pigeons. I couldn't tell you the name of any the breeds he had anymore, but some were truly pretty, for a chicken. I didn't like the pigeons much. I used to help with the milkings and it was my responsibility to feed the 'flock' every day, and I mean close to 100 birds. I also had strict orders to pull any eggs, as he didn't want any new additions. I swear they must multiply faster than rabbits, based on the number of eggs I pulled out.

I understand your fathers desire to back off the number of horses, although we haven't quit fully yet either. We at the auctions each spring looking for a 'project' horse for the year. Last years was a palimino we rescued from one of the local horse-traders that had managed to break her jaw trying to break her. We know of this guys reputation, so know for certain he broke the jaw. We had her longer than planned, but it took 4 months to heal the jaw and get her trusting people openly again, then we had to start all over (slowly) with the training. The guy we just sold her to is very pleased and she seems happy with him too.

Hope you heal up soon. I don't envy you having to travel so much with those broken ribs.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Thank You Sponsors!