iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leaking fuel tank on Husky 372

Started by WV_hillbilly, August 17, 2014, 08:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Just wondering how hard it is to replace a leaking fuel tank on a Husky 372 . I bought the saw about 8 years ago new and it has developed a leak in the bottom seam of the fuel tank . if you fuel up the saw you can see the fuel dripping out of the seam with the saw laying on it's side . Never had any experience changing this out as I usually run my Stihls and they dont have this problem .Other than this problem it has been a good saw for me
Hillbilly

celliott

Are you talking about buying a replacement tank and using that, or fixing the leak?
I have a 385xp tank that was repaired with something (don't know what) on the seam, and it doesn't leak. Others have tried plastic welding with varied results I think.

Now if you're talking about swapping a different fuel tank on, it shouldn't be too hard.  I've taken tanks off those saws plenty of times. Unhook fuel line, unhook throttle linkage, unscrew the AV mounts and the limiter screw and it takes a bit of a twist to get it away from the case. Then, swap AV mounts, new fuel line+filter, fuel cap, throttle linkage assembly (if you use a bare tank) opposite to reassemble. piece of cake?  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

You said when the saw is on the side- are you positive it's the tank seam, or could it be the fuel tank vent? (which can leak when the saw is on it's side, clutch side down)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

WV_hillbilly

yea  I'm sure its the tank seam .if the saw sits upright it leaks too . Trust me on that one as I put it in the basement one day with a 1/2 tank of fuel in it and went somewhere for a few hours . Wife was not happy with the gas smell in the house and the tank was empty .

I'm talking about a tank replacement not fixing the seam .  I just haven't looked at the throttle linkage to see how much trouble it would be 
Hillbilly

Maine logger88

I have used gas tank stop leak a few times on those tanks it lasts for awhile but peels off after a few months of hard use never tried plastic welding. As far as throttle linkage just pull the cable up out then slide the plastic tube down out of the clip and you are good to go. Like celliott said it takes a little twist to get the tank out but there a really simple saw too work on
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

chet

They are not that difficult to change out at all. I've plastic welded lots of them tanks with very good results. Once apart they are also real easy to pressure check to locate the leak, and check the fix.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

JohnG28

I bought my 460 used with JB weld on a hole in the tank. Has yet to leak, had it a year and a half or so. Might be worth a shot before replacing.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

WV_hillbilly

Sounds like I wiil put a new tank on it . Right now I'm working 6 - 10's at work so time is kind of short ,so trying to fix the original one isn't going to happen right now . I tried to find a good Husky mechanic around here but they are few and far between .
Hillbilly

celliott

Quote from: WV_hillbilly on August 17, 2014, 09:03:59 PM
yea  I'm sure its the tank seam .if the saw sits upright it leaks too . Trust me on that one as I put it in the basement one day with a 1/2 tank of fuel in it and went somewhere for a few hours . Wife was not happy with the gas smell in the house and the tank was empty .

I'm talking about a tank replacement not fixing the seam .  I just haven't looked at the throttle linkage to see how much trouble it would be

Ok gotcha.
So are you looking at a new husky tank, an aftermarket tank or used tank?
The AV springs screw on\off, there is a special tool you can buy to change them, but a good set of vice-grips has worked for me. The throttle linkage can be tricky to get correct with the operator presence lever. But the throttle cable is pretty straightforward. And if you mess with the lever and little wire spring piece enough times, you'll get it  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

WV_hillbilly

Just an update on the saw repairs .   I replaced the tank myself it wasn't too bad and end up cleaning the saw from top to bottom . Trying to get the throttle linkage disconnected/reconnected was the worst part for me .  I learned a little more about the Husky saws in the process

A big Thanks to Chainsawr for the ease at obtaining the correct parts for it and my Husky 350 also .  Fast shipping  .

Hillbilly

Spike60

Sorry I didn't see thsis a while back, but there's a less expensive way to do this. Generally a bottom seem leak can be fixed with a basic soldering iron. (not a gun which can have too much heat at once).

Idea is to simply melt the seem closed again and seal it up. 9 out of 10 times it works.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

WV_hillbilly

I kept the old tank . i will probably try and repair it when I have time just to have a spare just in case .   Thanks for the soldering iron fix . 
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!