iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

we are on fire

Started by getoverit, May 12, 2007, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I found this link today, and thought that some of you would like to see it. Florida is in trouble and we need rain desperately!

Fla. Dept of Forestry wildfire map
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

WDH

Incredible.  Today, the smoke from the fires was everywhere here.  A low hanging smoky haze.  Made it hard to breathe.  And, I am 150 miles to the north of the fires.............I can't imagine how bad it is for the poor folks right in the middle of it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

We are even getting the smoke down here in West Palm.
It has been a few days with smoke smell lingering and hazy. I hope you get rain soon.

DanG

It has been mighty, mighty dry here.  The grass crunches when you walk on it.  But, we got a little squirt of a thundershower this afternoon.  Didn't get but about and eighth of an inch at my place, but I was in beautiful downtown Quincy when it came through and it was a deluge.  We got chances of more in the next couple of days. 8)  I sure hope they get some where the fires are burning.  The only reason we are not on fire here is just pure dumb luck!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rocky_Ranger

We're rotating crews in and out of your area.  Folks returning say it's the worst they've ever seen for Florida and south Georgia......  Rain is the key, lots of rain...........
RETIRED!

Onthesauk

I'm far enough away that we don't get a lot of news coverage on the fires, but had no idea how bad it had gotten.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sawguy21

I do not envy you folks one bit. That is bad, it appears that most of the state is burning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Slabs

Hey getoverit

That picture is really scary.  I've saved it for future reference.  Thanks.  Since I live in an area that might be prone to severe damage in the event of a wildfire, it strikes close to home.

I've done my best rain-dance, left clothes on the line, left doors and windows open and everything else that I can think of to chum some rain up but am still waiting, impatiently.

Good luck to all.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

getoverit

Thanks for the rain dances ! Anything and everything will help as long as it is wet.

A new fire broke out this afternoon that is on the other side of me and closer to Tom. Right now the wind is blowing it in his direction and the smoke is getting worse.

I spoke to a relative that is a bulldozer operator for the largest timber company in the area and he said today is the first day he has had off in several weeks. He has been all over cutting fire lanes and roadways trying to cut the fires off and said that it is not uncommon for the fire to jump over 2 miles due to all of the high winds we have had lately from the tropical depression that went through.

As of right now, both Tom and myself are in safe areas, but I dont know how long this will last with no rain.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Furby

WDH

Not trying to make light of a serious situation...........but my Grandmother said that if you killed  a snake and hung it up over a limb, it was sure to rain.  Anybody else ever heard this?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

No, but I might be willing to sacrifice a serpent or two, just in case she was right. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wudman

Better yet....hang it on a fence post.  By local lore here, it has to be a black snake.
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

JAMES G

I killed a black snake today i will have to run out and beat the buzzards off  to hang him on the fence. What do we get for have eaten snake ? ???

WDH

James G,

I have got my fingers crossed.  You do realize that if it rains, it is because of your generous act :).

JAMES G

fingers and toes. seen a lot of snakes this spring more than normal all the water holes are drying up and the are out looking for some.

Quartlow

I'll keep an eye out for a snake to kill. That map is just pain scary  :(
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Slabs

Something else that's scary.  I haven't seen a snake around the yard yet.  Kinda hate to bring it up so's mammy nature can make a liar outa me. 
Actually my only complaint about snakes is that they graze on my little lizards and I love my lizards and the way they scarf up the cootiebugs.

Better git the drum out and whoop up another rain dance.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!