iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry, any good?

Started by GF, October 18, 2004, 08:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Is mulberry a good lumber for anything?

Buzz-sawyer

Quite nice looking , pretty strong too, good stuff. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

leweee

Woodturners love it ;D Nice bright yellow when fresh cut...looks more like walnut as it oxidizes. Someone will be happy to see it ! ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

dutchman

I've seen it used in gun stocks.

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

My buddy smoked a brisket and used mulberry wood, it was probably the best tasting meat I have ever had. It was sweet tasting and didn't need any sauce at all. He said it was the wood that gave it that flavor.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

GF

SW_IOWA_SAWYER
   Now you talking  :) I will definitly give that a try.

ksu_chainsaw

usually mulberry is rot resistant also, a little less than locust.  We have had several fences made with mulberry posts.  It also burns nice, not too hot, and lasts for quite a while.

Charles

GF

My dad used it for fence post 30-40 years ago and they are still in place.

LeeB

same family as osage orange. that's wheer the rot resistance comes from. not quite as hard though. about the same color. large logs tend to be a bit punky in the heart in my experiance. lots of heart shake or at least thats what I think you call it. it is pretty wood though. if you use it for firewood be sure and dry it well or it will pop a lot due to the high moisture content. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!