iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gafner question

Started by twobears, November 12, 2008, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Do you still have that little forwarder?
Precision Firewood & Logging

barbender

That is cool👍🏻👍🏻
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

It sure is im trying to find out if the guy still has it.

mike_belben

if so i will take two of them so me and boy can rodeo out back. dueling banjos grapples.
Praise The Lord

logman81

I'd buy it if the guy still has it only one I know of.

logman81

Does anyone know how to get ahold of the guy that owns it?

logman81

Firewoodjoe

I was going to pm you where it is. But don't need to I see. I can't believe what guys are asking for iron mules like mine. They are rough and a lot more than I paid for mine. 

logman81

Yup its in Michigan to rich for me but I would love to own it.

logman81

Guy wants 10,000 way to rich for that thing!

mike_belben

Today you cant buy the grapple and crane for 10k.  5 years ago maybe that was crazy but if it runs, imo today it is not.  A beat to death K30 dually dump is 10k now. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

I'm with Mike, that was too much but I see clapped out skidders with bad tires and every piece smashed, worn out or broken for high money and when you have something like that sweet little forwarder it is a seller's market especially if you don't need cash right this second.

logman81

I still disagree that it's worth that kind of money. It's such a risk spending that kind of money on something you probably aren't going to find parts for. I do agree however that it is a very cool mini forwarder and the market is a sellers market and I also have to look at trucking half way across the country which would be very expensive!!

wisconsitom

There's one of these on way to my land.  Turns out it's dad of next-door neighbor.  Used to do bits of logging.  Machine was not moved for a long time but I see now he may be trying to get it up and running again.  Had different junk in the bunks.  Guy was/is trying to lengthen the boom reach I hear.

Wouldn't mind having.  Maybe I can "borrow" it when needed, lol.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

mike_belben

the thing about that machine is in the event of catastophic failure one could graft automotive components into it because its just such a simple universal hunk of metal. if it fits it ships.  there is no reason at all that an inline 6 ford 300 with a sm435, np205 and dana 70s or 14bolts with torched and welded rims could not get shoehorned in by a guy with a little can-do spirit in the event of a total basketcase.  sure why not just make your own then!?  well because youre gonna need to buy the grapple rotator, slew gear and valves and tires.. those are gonna cost $10k plus a year of nights and weekends.  

yeah id wanna be buying it by the pound if it were a full blow rehab project.  but if can drive up on the trailer and go to the woods after a few hoses and wires and a tube, well hey, 10k is the new 5k.  youll accept than now or later but youll be accepting it.  $10k is the new $5k.

the money is never ever ever ever ever gonna gain in purchasing power.  it isnt a sellers market, its a new normal. the dollar supply has been doubled. goods repricing must occur, its an economic law as sound as gravity.   everyone can make their own appraisals as individuals, but collectively, market as a whole has a much larger vote than the individual.  if you value your dollar more than the stuff it can buy you just wont have anything but dollars.  someone else will win the bid every time whether its hotrods, harvesters, houses, horses or horseshoes. 

now if that machine doesnt fit someones needs, then its a fools errand any way you slice it. buying an adjustable wrench to use as a hammer sorta thing. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

Yeah unfortunately it seems things are unfortunately getting that way. Five years ago I only paid $7500 for the mini gafner cable skidder that I had but it did need a few things. I guess it all comes down to condition and what it's worth to the person who wants it. I want it but with a little one in the oven and the expense of trucking its not at an affordable price right now for me. It's the exactly what I'm looking for to have to work with and put food on the table for my family and I but just can't justify that much right now. Anyway God bless!

mike_belben

i am right there with you bubba, covid is doing what it was designed to do.  lock us all in our places.  i was getting pretty close to a bobcat replacement, and its a pipe dream now. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

Oh don't get me started on the covid thing! I'm not going to get sucked into that bs!

logman81

I've been talking a lot with the owner and it is a very interesting machine and has been well cared for apparently. It was built using Mercedes components and unimog components which should be easy to get parts for.

snowmountain

Look at NH Craigslist. There is a Gafner skidder there for $7500.

Locally by me there are 2 Gafner forwarders. One working weekly in a firewood operation and the other sitting for 10 years or more. Farmer with that one will never let it go.

Jack

logman81

I saw the one in NH it looks well used and not worth the money imo. 

Where are you from? 
this one is much more rare than the iron mules if those are what you're talking about. 

snowmountain

Yes it does look like time for some attention.

Western Mass. yes the ones here are old Iron Mules.

Jack

logman81

ok yeah its honestly a 5 grand machine and I grew up in western MA. 

mike_belben

No kidding.  I grew up in ludlow and springfield.  What about you guys?
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!