iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel tank storage

Started by Firewoodjoe, March 15, 2020, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I have a 1/4" steel round tank. 72" long 48" diameter. It's a fuel tank but the guy I bought it from had it on wood. It has no legs. Should I weld legs on? Or set it on something? Wood steel concrete? It will be on a concrete slab with a roof over it. Should I worry about rust/moisture between the leg and tank? 

Mt406

Proper welding precautions when welding on a tank that had fuel in it. You may not have to worry about rust anymore. 
Were I live it's so dry rust is not a problem. Under a roof I wouldn't think it would  be. 
Be careful.
Scott 

btulloh

Make a cradle stand. Pipe or steel you have laying around. Strap the tank. Then you don't need to weld on a bomb. Decent paint will take care of the rust problem. 
HM126

Southside

In addition to not having to deal with the fuel / welding issue you don't run the risk of creating a future pin hole in the tank, so yes make a cradle and set it on that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

I've welded lots of diesel tanks. No big deal. I wasn't really worried about a pin hole due to it is 1/4" but the cradle would be simple. And it will be covered. That should help. Thanks. 

btulloh

I've never seen a simple fuel tank that size made out of 1/4".  Pretty stout stuff.  What was the original use?  How much does it weigh?
HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 15, 2020, 05:47:44 PMthe cradle would be simple.
And since this is the FF, the cradle should be made out of something like white oak!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chevytaHOE5674

I'd weld some skids or legs on it so that the tank isn't setting right on the concrete. Gives room for air movement so you dont have any problems with condensation or sweating where the steel and concrete touch.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 15, 2020, 06:23:45 PM
I'd weld some skids or legs on it so that the tank isn't setting right on the concrete. Gives room for air movement so you dont have any problems with condensation or sweating where the steel and concrete touch.
That was my concern condensation. I'll drag it back out and see what I have for steel. And this was a fuel oil/home heating oil tank made just for this guys house. It was in his basement. Rolled 1/4" tread plate. And it is heavy. Had to get a buddy's skid steer because 3 of us could just drag it out of the walk out basement with jacks and wood skid contraptions. 

snowstorm

i have a 550 gal tank that 1/4 thick. the cradle is pt 2x6 on a concrete slab. its been there 20 yrs

Thank You Sponsors!