iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cummins swap

Started by Enderslbz, October 09, 2014, 06:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enderslbz

You start with a comment, then all of a sudden you've unknowingly hijacked a thread, so here I begin again.  I've bought myself a 79 Chevy crew cab 1 ton 4x4. It's the most rust free truck I've ever seen and it's going to get turned into my tow rig.  It's got a 454 in it now that rattles pretty good, so it's gotta come out. Has a 4 speed tranny and a divorced 205 t-case.  The plan is a 12 valve cummins with a nv4500 out of a 2wd dodge truck. The swap would be the most straightforward that way, but I can always change.  Thought of a married nv4500 and whatever case it had on it ahead of the divorced unit, looks to be plenty of room, and that way I'd end up with a 4:1ish low range.  But this is no trail rig, so I suppose that will only happen if a tranny/transfer case combo falls into my lap. It's lifted around 17" right now, but I'll pull some out and the plan is to end up with about a 35-37" tire on it. Looking into the most recent styles of hummer take-offs, they're readily available and are a 37" radial with a high weight rating. Thoughts, comments?
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

celliott

I would love to do this swap on my old 3\4 ton Ford.
The 390 that's in it runs good, plenty of power for the truck, just leaks a little oil and sucks gas like nobody's business. When I drove it for work, I got a whole 6 mpg  :D 36" tires and 4:10 gearing will do that.
But, I don't have the engine\transmission for a swap, and this one does run ok. Truck has other issues to be addressed before I think about dropping a diesel in it!

Watching with interest however  :P

Old trucks are awesome, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, doesn't matter, they were all built tough as nails  :)

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

mrector

I've done a couple cummins swapa with latest being s p-pumped 4bta into a 2wd 1988 dodge d250. Was fuelie gasser. Your chevy will accept the Cummins nicely. A lil advice.. the more stock parts you can leave in place the better. I used the 318 motor mounts for the 4bt. Also used stock driveshaft by machining adapter to the standard trans. It just easier buying parts later.
I'd use the nv 2wd and divorced. Way stronger transfer case. Position cummins to where you csn leave transfer case in stock location. Also try and use stock 454 radiator. Easier to come by than a custom built one and cheaper too.
Many other things csn be done. Also u can do it fairly cheap or expensive,  depends on what all you require..
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

mrector

Here are a couple videos.

Mikey 4bt 1988 dodge Cummins conversion: http://youtu.be/F0l0UiHnLOc

4bt Cummins running: http://youtu.be/5YhgRZ5Nc5k
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

sawguy21

I saw a swap in progress involving a mid 90's Ford and a Cummins. I didn't have a chance to see if they had to butcher the fire wall.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Enderslbz

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 09, 2014, 09:44:16 AM
I saw a swap in progress involving a mid 90's Ford and a Cummins. I didn't have a chance to see if they had to butcher the fire wall.
My buddy did it on a 94 f-250.  The instructions that came with the conversion pieces said "massage" the firewall with a hammer haha.  It didn't take too much.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Maine logger88

The 37" military tires aren't bad not great traction but there a real tough tire. Have you seen the article in diesel power on Cummins swaps? When I went too SDX in august there where some down there too!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Enderslbz

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 09, 2014, 08:40:38 PM
The 37" military tires aren't bad not great traction but there a real tough tire.
I'm debating between the old Wrangler MT's with the 4 lugs and the newer MT/R's they ran.  I like the old-school look of the MT's, and that's kind of what I'm going for on this truck.  They'll be mounted on an old set of the slotted aluminum mags I've had laying around waiting for a truck to use them on.  I had a friend in high school that ran a set of them in a 35 on a bronco and he always loved them.  They seemed to do really well at the bogs.  But for another $25 a tire I can upgrade to the MT/R's, and I ran a set of those on my 06 and was really happy with them too. 
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Maine logger88

I have a set of duratracs on my dmax I like them so far they don't seem to wear too bad for a fairly aggressive tire. I love the looks of a set of slotted mags on a old school Chevy BTW!

dgdrls

Enderslbz

Quote from: dgdrls on October 10, 2014, 07:30:58 PM
Detroit Power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gft5U6b48
I love the detroit swaps too, I just don't know if thats something that would be a good fit.  Seems like the sound might get to you if you're towing long distances.  Any idea what kind of mileage the detroit would end up getting?

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 10, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
I have a set of duratracs on my dmax I like them so far they don't seem to wear too bad for a fairly aggressive tire. I love the looks of a set of slotted mags on a old school Chevy BTW!
I know a few people that ran or run duratracs, they wear very well even on the diesels.  However the winter traction isn't on par with a lot of other tires.  My brother always complained about them when he was plowing.  Every time you back away from a bank you would get some tire spin.  The BFG all terrains he used previous were far superior in the snow, there was zero slippage backing away from a pile.  I used it with them on also and was amazed at how hooked up the truck was.  It felt like a bulldozer.  It would just grunt and push, just about as far as you wanted to take it.  But those wore terribly.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Maine logger88

Detroit swaps are cool too i like any diesel swap. Real trucks dont have spark plugs lol. Yeh Im not going to find out what they do in the winter they are on my nice wheels so I'm going to put my 265 coopers back on. I don't drive it much in the winter anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!