iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most simplistic Chainsaw Mill?

Started by Mark with a K, November 03, 2019, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark with a K

So I'm not looking to make super-accurate lumber.  I just need to take felled trees, and square off the sides for ease of construction.  I don't have power, so I'm looking for a light, easy to maneuver chainsaw mill that I can simply use to cut the flats on each of the 4 sides, or sometimes just two.  I won't need more than a 24" bar to do what I need to do.  I'm basically just making rough-cut timbers, but don't want to "eye" it without a mill mount for the saw.  Super simple fits me best.

I know there are a lot of choices out there, that's why I'm asking. 

THIS IS NOT A WANT AD - I AM NOT LOOKING TO GET A MESSAGE FROM SOMEONE WITH ONE FOR SALE.

I'm just asking the crew here for their experiences with all the options out there.

Thanks!

mad murdock

The granberg Alaskan mini or the edger mill would be 2 of the better options out there. I have used a beam machine as well, and though it's design is simpler than granberg, it doesn't work as well as either the Alaskan or the edger mill. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Mark with a K

Quote from: mad murdock on November 03, 2019, 11:55:25 AM
The granberg Alaskan mini or the edger mill would be 2 of the better options out there. I have used a beam machine as well, and though it's design is simpler than granberg, it doesn't work as well as either the Alaskan or the edger mill.
Thanks!  It seems like that is the most popular overall.  I have only shopped online a bit and watched some YouTube videos, so far the Alaskan seems to be the best fit for my needs.

YellowHammer

The Alaskan couldn't get any simpler.  Pretty inexpensive, also.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ManjiSann

If I didn't have the tools and equipment to build my own my choice to buy would have likely been a Grandbergs Alaskan Mill. In fairness I based my design off of their mill  ;D

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Mark with a K

Well I guess that settles that question, thanks guys!

Thank You Sponsors!