iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT35HD Pulley

Started by Rhodemont, January 15, 2018, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

The spring loaded tension pulley for drive belt let go.  The pulley inner bearing that fits onto the shaft disintegrated and took out the belt with it.  The mill is two years old with couple hundred hours.  Thought I have had the tension set correctly. While this could have been a sudden failure I am thinking it would take a while for it to wear and let go.  Any thoughts on what might have happen?
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

millwright

Mine failed at about 50 hours, after it was replaced no further problems. You should use a belt tension gauge when you install the new belt

John S

For a few years now, I believe that WM provides the belt tension gauge with all mills.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Mt406

Mine blew up at around 100 hrs. and took the belt out.  :'(
Had some smoldering saw dust from hot parts flying around.
I now have 350 hrs and alls well.
Belt tension gauge came with mill.
Its a must or over tension will cause bearing failer or possible broken crank.
WM was good with warranty on parts for me.

Scott     

Rhodemont

Parts are on the way under warranty.  Mill did come with tension gauge.  I did check it at 25 hrs as recommended and then couple other times.
Had not run the mill for couple weeks with the cold we have had.  Mt406 & millwright, did yours let go in cold weather.  With the shaft being a shoulder bolt the tolerance is probably not that high so maybe bearing contracted tight onto bolt with the cold.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

millwright

I didn't get a gauge with mine, had to by one  it was early fall when it failed, so not too cold  I've sawed well over 100,000 bd ft with no problems with the pulley.

Thank You Sponsors!